Chapter XIV

The Airship hit into the ground, thundering crashes and screams echoing to the cockpit. Then, just as abruptly as it had started, it stopped.

     The ground was now level, and Rupert and Dave tipped forward, forced to let go of each other to stabilize themselves.

     Suddenly, Dave erupted with excitement.

     "Rupert! We're alive! We're alive!" He wrapped his tiny arms around him, squeezing him with all his might.

     He suddenly leaned back, grabbed Rupert by the collar, and pulled himself forward, kissing him. Rupert, surprised and dazed, slowly lifted his arm and cradled the back of Dave's head.

     "I'm sorry," Dave whispered, without moving.

     "What are you sorry for? That was awesome!" Dave giggled.

      They sat there together for a while, neither of them planning to move anytime soon. Rupert's mind suddenly wandered from Dave to what had just happened.

     That... was a crash Charles would be proud of. he thought. He laughed to himself.

     Before they could do anything else, a long groan came from the middle of the cockpit. Both Rupert and Dave got up.

     Rupert inhaled sharply, having momentarily forgotten about his scar, as pain coursed through his chest.

     He glanced over to where the two Toppats had been. Reginald had not survived the crash. He was lying on the ground, his arms wrapped around Right's lifeless body.

     Rupert felt pity for them for a split second, before remembering all the awful things they'd done.

     He followed Dave up and around the control panel, staggering from the pain in his chest.

     Once he got there, he looked down to see Henry, slumping and breathing heavily. He had been hit in the head by something, and didn't look like he was going to live much longer.

     He lifted his head to look up at them.

     Henry exhaled.

     "Well, you-you got me. You got us."

     He paused.

     "I'll... I'll be sure to tell Charles that I'm... I'm sorry." he whispered, smiling sorrowfully.

     He let his head fall. Seconds later, his arm fell too.

     Rupert and Dave stood silently, neither knowing how to feel.

     Suddenly, Rupert let out a little cry of pain and collapsed, clutching his scar.

     "Rupert!!" Dave screamed, falling down to his knees next to him. Turning Rupert's body, he lifted his head in his hands.

     Rupert's face didn't move. His hair was matted and stuck to his face and his scar, making it seem a lot more painful.

     Dave panicked, beginning to search through Rupert's pockets to find something to tie it back with. He pulled out a small bag with chocolate stains, some ammunition, and a black pen before finding a small piece of string.

     He gently tugged Rupert's hair out of his face and pulled it back, tying it in a short ponytail before wiping his own face from tears and bloodstains.

     Dave reached for Rupert's hand, crying silently, but too scared to call for help.

    "I'm sorry, Rupert..." he whispered, hardly able to get the words out.

     He rested his head against Rupert's chest, waiting a few seconds before exhaling heavily, relieved that he still had a heartbeat.

     Dave curled up in a ball, grabbing his knees against his body. He laid there, hoping that someone would come to help them.

~

    Footsteps echoed in the hallway as Dave looked up, scared that it would be a Toppat coming to kill them.

     Quentin appeared out of the darkness, his eyes darting, looking for something.

     "Q-Quentin..." Dave whimpered, making him look down at him.

     "Aw, s***. Is he alive?" he asked, kneeling.

     "Y-yeah, but he's in so much pain..."

     Quentin stared.

     "Ay! Victoria! Bring one of those stretchers in!" he called. "Yes sir!" she called back. Seconds later, Victoria and the Bukowski twins appeared, carrying a large stretcher.

     They carefully lifted Rupert on as Dave backed away. He slowly followed them as they left, watching as they carried him onto a helicopter.

     The door closed, and the helicopter took off, leaving him behind.

     As he stared, tears falling out of his eyes, General Galeforce came from behind and stood beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder.