Chapter Six

"C'mon, let's go." Leafstride glanced at the two apprentices, then followed Mistfoot. Leafstride felt sympathy for the she-cat. She clearly had feelings for Splashclaw, and yet she still lied to him to protect three other clan cats. "Heres the border," Mistfoot mewed, her voice was stronger now. "Well, let's keep going." Leafstride padded out of the territory, looking around for any other hints. It was still silent and dark, the only sound the rushing water of the Running River. "Maybe we should follow the Running River," Ivypaw mewed, padding up to stand next to Leafstride. "Considering this is a journey for each clan, we should follow the river. It's the only thing that each clan share, and it travels out of the territory." Leafstride nodded, this young apprentice was already wise. "And we can't get lost if we stay to the side of the river, since we know where it flows to," Palepaw added, coming to stand next to Ivypaw.

"What do you think Mistfoot?" Leafstride turned to face the she-cat, but she still hadn't left her territory. Her gaze was sharp, as if she was focussing on something else. Her fur was starting to fluff out as she stared at the three cats, and her ear twitched. Leafstride and the two apprentices stood still, silently trying to figure out what she was doing. Leafstride's heart jumped when Mistfoot shot backward behind a bush. The bush rustled for a second, then Mistfoot padded forward, anger flaring her gaze. "We were being followed," she glared at Palepaw, "and I wonder who decided to bring another with them." A large, dark-gray tabby tom padded out from the bush, almost half a head taller than Mistfoot. His blue eyes were locked on Palepaw, who was staring at him with shock and anger.

"What are you doing here?" Palepaw sounded very angry. "I knew you were going to meet up with other clan cats to go on a 'journey'. I wasn't going to let you go but I started to follow you too late. So now I am coming with you," the tom's mew was stern, making Leafstride guess that he was Palepaw's mentor. "We don't need you to join us," Mistfoot growled. "Just go back to camp, Brightshade," Palepaw was clearly annoyed at the tom. "She doesn't need her mentor to protect her, she's got us three," Ivypaw mewed. "He is not my mentor," Palepaw spat. Leafstride thought for a moment. The tom was large, and he was very protective of his clanmate. "Maybe it would be a good thing he came with us," Leafstride mewed calmly. "What?" Mistfoot turned to face him, "are you crazy? We were told to meet with a cat from each clan. Not two cats from each clan."

"Another warrior would do us good," Leafstride mewed evenly, "who knows what dangers are out here." "And you don't have a choice," Brightshade's mew was firm, "I'm protecting my clanmate whether you like it or not." Mistfoot locked eyes with Leafstride, who nodded. "Fine," Mistfoot grunted, "but you're not in charge." "Who is in charge?" Brightshade asked. "Anyone but you," Palepaw retorted, clearly not happy with the cats' decision to let Brightshade stay with them. Leafstride looked over to Mistfoot, but she was looking at the ground. Her eyes were shut tight and her jaw was clenched shut, her tail swishing irritably through the air. "I guess no one is," Ivypaw broke the silence, "we're just all working together." "That'll never work," Brightshade's mew was assertive. "It has so far," Palepaw growled, "and you have no say in anything we do." Brightshade hushed her with a flick of his tail, "why don't one of you two decide?" Leafstride glanced at Mistfoot, who was staring at Brightshade with an unreadable gaze.

"It should be easy," Brightshade sat down, curling his tail around his paws. "Which one of you is a better warrior?" Mistfoot snorted, "none of you." "Then put yourself in charge," Brightshade shook out his fur. "Why don't you shut your mouth and let us do what we are going to do?" Mistfoot growled. "We'll be fine without a cat in charge," Leafstride nodded to Ivypaw, "we work together, not under one cat's command." Brightshade gave him an uncertain glance, "we'll see how long that lasts." "Now that that is over," Mistfoot started padding upstream next to the Running River, "let's get walking."