Chapter Ten

Leafstride steadied his pace to be behind Mistfoot as she led the way. Clumps of his fur were sticking together and drying out, from the soggy mud Ivypaw had shaken on the cats. It was only Mistfoot's blueish gray pelt that Ivypaw hadn't tainted with the smelly substance. She had jumped away in time. "I wonder what Blazestorm is going to say when I get back," Ivypaw mewed aloud. "Who's that?" Leafstride asked. He liked talking. "My mentor," Ivypaw answered with a sigh, "he and my father are going to so upset when I get back." "You don't have a mother?" Brightshade asked. Ivypaw shook his head sadly, "I never got to meet her. She died while kitting me and my siblings, Branchkit and Snowkit."

"Your father is Duskfeather, right?" Leafstride asked. Ivypaw gave him a tiny nod. "I've heard a bit about him," Leafstride mewed, probably looking to answer Ivypaw's confused stare. Of course, you have. "I don't have a mother either, Ivypaw," Mistfoot's compassionate mew startled him, "actually, I don't have either of my parents anymore. They joined Starclan when I was a paw'." Leafstride gave a solemn nod, "my parents are in Starclan as well. Shadowstorm joined them a while ago." The calico tom paused before continuing, like he wanted to say more but didn't know if he should. His voice was lower, sadder, as he spoke. "My mother, Ivyfern, had passed the night before we started this journey." Ivypaw could see there was more he wanted to say but didn't. The cats sent him sympathetic glances, as well as mrrows of comfort and their condolences.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what any of that feels like." Palepaw's tail twitched as she looked at her paws, "I can't imagine losing Tornfur and Sunnyeyes." "It's hard," Mistfoot replied first, her mew soft, "but it's what happens. Just enjoy the moments with your kin that you can." Ivypaw was relieved to hear Brightshade's cheerful mew, "enough of this depressing talk. We're on a journey, together. None of us are along, not anymore. So, let's find this barn-cat. Sha'll we?" The four cats let out mews of agreement, all of them looking more relaxed now that the subject was changed. "Leafstride," Brightshade looked at the sky, "the sun is past sun-high. Can we hunt now?" Leafstride gave him a thoughtful look, then glanced around at the cats, "anyone else hungry?" Suddenly, Ivypaw could feel the hunger gnawing at his stomach, "I am." "Me too," Palepaw joined in. "I could stop and hunt for a bit," Mistfoot agreed. "Brightshade, looks like you'll be able to hunt," Leafstride mewed. "Finally!" Brightshade gave a sigh of relief. "We should switch up our hunting partners now though," Leafstride glanced at the apprentices. "Palepaw, why don't you go with Brightshade. Mistfoot, would you mind Ivypaw joining you?" "I can be his hunting mentor for the day," Mistfoot nodded toward's the Ivypaw, her blue eyes welcoming like a mother.

"Good," Leafstride gave a satisfied sniff, "I'll hunt by myself around here. Just meet here when you're done." The cats nodded then padded in different directions, and Ivypaw followed Mistfoot. The Fireclan she-cat moved swiftly and smoothly as she swerved between stones and trees. Ivypaw, however, was not so flexible and graceful as the blue she-cat. He hit a stump trying to follow her footsteps and let out a frustrated hiss. The she-cat glanced back, stopping and waiting for him to catch her. Once he caught her, she glanced at him then looked ahead. "You have to use all your senses to be aware of your surroundings, not just your eyes." She padded slowly forward, flicking her tail for him to follow. "Use your fur and whiskers," she mewed, "they can sense stuff close to you, so you don't run into them." She brushed her whisker on a tree, then slid a little bit to the left of it. Ivypaw did the same, though he didn't understand why.

"It's easier for me to get around if I stay close to trees or stones, but I don't run into them if my whiskers slightly brush them, because they left me know how close I am. Try it." She nuzzled Ivypaw in front of her, and he stared into a forest full of huge stones taller than him and large trees. He started padding up past the trees, barley letting his whiskers touch them. His paw steps were quick, but quiet, as he slid through the trees like a snake. He felt nimble as he guided Mistfoot through the unfamiliar forest but found it easier to travel through unfamiliar territory this way. "Good, now smell for prey," Mistfoot meowed from behind him. Ivypaw stuck his nose in the air, ignoring all the new scents like Leafstride does, and smelling for familiar prey. Nearly instantly he smelt a mouse, or two.