Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:

The next day I was back on my feet and ready for action. I thought I was supposed to wait around for Genya to come get me like I usually did, but she never showed up. With a sigh, I headed off again for training.

As I walked, I slipped into my thoughts. Nothing very interesting came to mind, that is, until someone's name popped into my head.

Ivan.

I couldn't believe I hadn't thought about him all this time. He was one of the very, very few people I knew here, and I hadn't seen him since we arrived.

If I see Genya today, I'll ask if she's seen him.

I walked as slowly as I possibly could. Did I want to go to training again? No. Did I want to get it over with? Well, obviously. I knew that I had to do this, and once I was good enough, I wouldn't have to go anymore. Or so I hoped.

Quicker than I wanted, I had arrived for training. Botkin was already waiting, his face expressionless.

I walked up to him, and neither of us said a word.

Finally, he said, "I apologize."

My response was a simple shrug.

Taking that as closure to our conversation, Botkin said. "Now, we fight."

Botkin went over so many things, I felt like my head was about to explode. He had me practice starting in a fighting stance, blocking, punching, and kicking.

I was very glad that he didn't allow anyone to use their powers while training. He wanted his students to be able to defend themselves without using their power, just in case something ever happened.

Honestly, I was just glad that I didn't have to let anyone know that I couldn't use my powers without the Darkling's help.

"For last part of training today, you run." Botkin told me. I was too exhausted to answer him properly, and simply nodded. "Go!"

I jogged slowly, with very terrible form, for the next hour.

When I finished my "run", I walked slowly toward the lake that I had seen a few nights before. I was surprised to find that only a few people were there.

I sank down to my knees near the water's edge and scooped up a cool, clear handful. I sipped from it and splashed the rest on my face. I groaned as the water cooled my face.

As I cleared the droplets from my eyelashes, someone walked up next to me. I blinked, squinting up at the figure before me.

It was a boy that looked to be about my age, maybe a little older. His skin was the colour of copper, and his hair was short and black. Kind, brown eyes looked down at me and a smile graced his lips. I noticed he was wearing the blue kefta of the Summoners.

"Hi, I'm Dmitri," he said, his voice warm and kind. "Who're you?"

"Zeya," I replied.

"You're not wearing a kefta. What are you doing here?"

I blinked, surprised by his bluntness. "Uh. . . I'm Grisha."

"Really?" his smile grew wider. "What order?"

"I. . . Etherealki," I answered, using the formal name for the Summoners.

"Cool! Are you Inferni? I'm Inferni," he said, shoving the sleeve of his kefta in my face. I looked and saw the red embroidery on the cuff that indicated Inferni. "Actually, you look kind of like a Tidemaker. Is that it? If not, I guess you're a Squaller. That's cool. Want to practice? I can show you how good I'm getting with my fire."