Chapter Five

*not edited*

Chapter Five

I watched as people around me exchanged awed glances. I noticed some of the Grisha were regarding me with hostile eyes. What had I done to them?

“A moon summoner? How grand! Show me.” The King exclaimed. I took a deep breath, hoping that I could pull off using the light again.

I watched as the Darkling slipped off his gloves, and pools of darkness gathered in his palms. Then, with a resounding crack, he brought his hands forcefully together.

I heard the startled gasps of the others in the room. I realized that there was a faint silver glow surrounding me.

I reached to my side, and let out a breath of relief when I felt the Darkling’s cool fingers slip between mine.

I felt a call ring through me, and I felt something within me rising up to meet it. I watched as the silver aura around me grew to an immense size, illuminating the room in cool, silver light.

I heard startled breaths all around me. Then suddenly, everyone was cheering.

“Marvelous!” the King crowed, applauding loudly. “Simply marvelous.”

I squirmed under his gaze. He was watching me with a strange intensity, and I struggled not to throw up when he licked his lips.

I looked away, and my gaze fell to my hand. My eyes widened slightly when I realized that the Darkling’s fingers were still intertwined with mine. My eyes flickered upward, and I locked eyes with the Darkling.

“I did it,” I said awkwardly. I could feel a blush rising to my cheeks.

“I knew you could,” he whispered. Feeling suddenly uncomfortable, I pulled away from the Darkling. He frowned slightly, but quickly covered it up.

I was quickly surrounded by people that wanted to talk to me, and the Darkling disappeared into the crowd. Had I offended him? I certainly hadn’t meant to.

Finally, I was able to break free from the crowd and I hurried away, heading back to my room.

I finally got back to my room, and I plopped onto the huge bed with a sigh. I was so glad to be out of the throne room and away from all of those people.

Then, my thoughts drifted off to the Darkling, the way his hand felt in mine, how he said he’d known I would be able to use my power. And somehow I’d managed to insult him.

Suddenly, there was a sharp knock on the door. I could feel my hopes rising. Maybe it was the Darkling. Maybe I’d be able to apologize for offending him.

I quickly chased those thoughts out of my head.

I answered the door to find Genya standing there.

“Genya?” I questioned. “What do you want?”

She frowned slightly. “You left before I could tell you that the Queen wishes to meet you.”

Without waiting for answer, she turned and briskly walked back down the hall. I rushed off after her, shutting the door quietly behind me.

Genya set a fast pace through the halls, and I honestly had a hard time trying to remember where we were going.

Finally, we stopped in a jewel-like sitting room, and the Queen was resting on a divan. A sniffling little dog rested on her lap.

The Queen was flawless. She had glossy blond hair, styled to perfection. Her features were cold and lovely. But there was something off about her. Her eyes were an arresting blue, her skin too smooth, her hair a little too yellow. She was surrounded by ladies in exquisite gowns in pastel colours.