Chapter Four

A/N: IMPORTANT! This is a KIND OF update. I added in a different chapter as chapter three, so this chapter is now chapter four. I do recommend reading this again, as I have added in a few more things. BTW I don’t typically read over my chapters before posting them, so sorry for mistakes.

Chapter Four

The next morning was a rush. I’d woken up to find that the Darkling wasn’t beside me anymore, and that I was lying on the ground.

Ivan had been the one to wake me up. He apologized for not speaking with me last night, and he’d stayed in the coach with me and two oprichniki the rest of the way to Os Alta.

We traveled from dawn until mid-afternoon. The whole ride was filled with useless chatter. We talked about our families, Ivan talked about the Grisha and his amplifier. At one point I asked where the Darkling was.

“Oh, him? He prefers to ride up front. Why do you ask?” Ivan replied. I shrugged.

“Well, this is kinda his coach…I was just wondering why he wasn’t using it.” Ivan didn’t respond to that, he instead asked me other things about my life.

After a few more hours, we’d finally come to a stop.

“We’ve arrived.” Ivan said, getting out of the coach with the oprichniki.

I smiled, knowing he couldn’t see it anyway. I dragged myself up and out of the coach, and nearly choked on my breath as I saw what lay ahead of me.

A magnificent palace stood before us. It was early evening, and there were still quite a few people out. The palace glittered in the sunlight.

“Whoa.” I breathed. I heard the Darkling’s low chuckle beside me. Startled, I turned to face him.

“What do you think?” he asked.

“Um…whoa” I repeated. I was completely awestruck. The palace was a little much for me, though. It was ornately decorated, and honestly, the colours were a little busy for my liking.

“Ugly, isn’t it?” I broke away from my daze and looked up at the Darkling. I was certainly surprised that he’s said that. I simply nodded in agreement.

I looked to my left to see a young woman walking my way. She wore servants clothing and she bowed respectfully to us.

The Darkling spoke to her quietly, and she nodded.

“Come with me,” she said, turning away.

I glanced to my side to look up at the Darkling. He nodded at me and I followed after the servant.

After many hallways and flights of stairs, we arrived at a room. She walked forward and opened the door to reveal the most magnificent room I’d ever seen.

Everything seemed shiny and clean and new. The bed had golden, silk sheets, and it looked very inviting at the moment.

I stepped into the room, awestruck at its elegance.

The servant left in a rush, and I turned to the room off of the main bedroom. I spotted the large, claw-foot tub and decided it was time for a bath.

I filled the tub with hot water and soaked for a few minutes, scrubbing my skin with a lightly scented soap.

“This is heaven.” I mumbled. I rinsed off my hair and stepped out of the bath, drying off and wrapping myself up in a plush robe hung on the door.

I squeezed as much moisture as I could out of my long, black hair, and opened the bathroom door. Outside, two maids stood waiting.

“My lady,” one said respectfully. “The Darkling had sent us to prepare you.”