Part 48

Summary: Daenerys has claimed the Iron Throne, at great cost to the people of King's Landing. And so, the clean up begins, guided by the northern monarchs' and their army.

Warnings: Swearing, angst and anger. Some minor graphic descriptions.

Word Count: 4733

Please feel free to drop me a message or comment, your feedback would be very much appreciated..

If no one knew any better, it appeared as though the horrors from beyond the wall had never been defeated, that the army of the dead had taken and destroyed the north, before moving on and decimating the country's capital and its people

If no one knew any better, it appeared as though the horrors from beyond the wall had never been defeated, that the army of the dead had taken and destroyed the north, before moving on and decimating the country's capital and its people. For a city overcome by the scorching flames of a dragon, it resembled more of a long-forgotten ruin, ravaged by a thousand-year blizzard. Buildings, both standing and destroyed, streets and alleys and the bodies that lined them, lay static and eerily peaceful under a dense and widespread blanket of ash. The flames that created it burning so hot, that tiny particles of ash floated down from the skies like the whitest of snow... even now, hours after Drogon's final breath was expelled upon the city. And yet, amongst the mess, small spot fires continued to smoulder away, quickly reminding them of the manner in which the capital had fallen.

Jon had already sent his army to work, to clear the streets of the dead and to search through the endless rubble for weak cries of help. Moving through the streets, they collected the wounded, both soldiers and civilians, sending them to the makeshift infirmaries (YN) had set up in the larger buildings unaffected by Drogon's fire, the patients tended to by the men and women of the city. Outside the perimeters of the city's fallen walls, northern tents were already being erected, a small step towards sheltering the numerous and newly homeless civilians. Stopping in the middle of the street, Jon looked around him, and sighed, before turning to his wife, "This is going to take months to clean up." Pausing a moment, his hands came to rest on his hips, "And rebuild..?" shaking his head, he concluded, "It could take years."

(YN) took a casual glance around her immediate surroundings, searching for eyes and ears, finding no one close enough to listen, yet, still careful to speak in hushed tones. "I know, but unfortunately that is not my main concern right now."

Jon nodded his head and pulled her close, pressing his lips to her forehead, knowing exactly the thoughts running through her mind because they ran through his mind too. Something needed to be done about Daenerys. She had proven herself incapable of self-control, and it was the people of this city, the people she was supposed to liberate, that were left paying the price. And he had no doubt, that sooner rather than later, he and (YN) and the people they loved would end up paying the price too. Keeping his voice quiet, he nodded his head, "I will ask Davos to send for Angus and Tormund. We need to discuss our next move."

It was an impossible situation. To leave the people under the rule of Daenerys was almost treacherous. They may not have personally burned the city to the ground, but they did agree to be her ally, and it did not feel right to leave them under the rule of someone who was barely capable of governing her own mind. But to kill her would undoubtedly begin another war. The Dothraki and Unsullied would not allow them or their northern forces to leave the city alive. With heavy burden, he sighed, calling Davos to join them. "Angus and Tormund have taken a contingent of men to the bay, to collect any wounded Iron Born. Can you send some men for them... find us somewhere to talk... Somewhere-" Jon's voice trailed off, distracted by Grey Worm and a group of his men, surrounding a number of Lannister soldiers, all of them kneeling in a row.