Make Me a Promise?

While Thomison and her family were preparing dinner, Zephyr was pacing in his room. He had gotten a haircut and bought a new suit specially for this dinner. 

It shouldn't have, but the dinner Thomison had invited him to made him nervous. He was anxious because he wanted to please the gorgeous woman he was mated to, he wanted her to accept him and be with him willingly, though he couldn't help but feel like the only reason Thomison didn't reject him on the spot was because of his reputation of being a killer. 

Part of Zephyr was proud of his name, he was feared, respected, loved by many. Though another part of him was  upset that his name would be passed onto his children, they would be known as the spawn of a killer, a ruthless man. 

Why was he suddenly so nervous about his reputation? It never bothered him, he never cared much about the legacy he would leave because he was sure he'd never find his mate, much less such a gorgeous woman who was sure of herself and powerful at that. 

He blew out a breath and sat on the edge of the bed, and dropped his head into his hands. What was his mate doing to him?

Though, was it his mate? Was this all because he wants to please the goddess he was mated with? The woman who was destined to love him? What would become of them if she did change her mind and reject him? 

His thoughts were so torn and confused that when there was a knock on his door he nearly charged at the person who entered. Killian, his third-in-command, walked in and seemed unphased. 

"Your emotions are a mess, dude. What's going on?" Killian asked, and sat down on the couch. 

"I told you to stop reading my emotions like a book." Zephyr growled. 

"I can't help it. It's like you're screaming you're every feeling into my ears right now, man." Killian leaned back and made himself comfortable. 

Killian had the ability to sense emotions in people, whether or not you had a mental blockade up he knew what someone was feeling. He had a lot of time to practice with it and had even managed to be so well-practiced in it that he could tell the slightest change in someone's mood even if they didn't betray anything physically. 

"I'm nervous about the dinner with Thomison." Zephyr eventually said. 

"That's like telling me the sky is blue, I know that. But why are you freaking out? I can only tell your emotions, not your thoughts." Killian said, leaning forward to convince Zephyr that he was listening and that he cared.

"What if she rejects me? Or her family says something and it sends me into a rage? I'm scared to lose her, she's the most perfect woman and she-wolf that I've ever met. She's so strong mentally, she didn't just fall for me like a fan girl, she's fought against me and she knows what she does and doesn't like. She's an amazing woman. She's also one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen on the face of this planet. Her eyes are so full of light, she isn't a killer like me." Zephyr had said it, he spilled his guts on the floor and let Killian into what he was truly thinking, and now he was scared of what Killian would think of him. 

"Don't be scared, I know that even the hardest man softens for his mate. Think of your father, before he met your mother he was nicknamed the Red Monarch because of his tendencies that you inherited. But around your mother, what was he like?" Killian spoke.

"He was a great father, he was a good man." Zephyr answered. 

"Exactly. He was soft and comforting for your mother and you, now the time has come for you to have a life like he had. Beautiful children, a beautiful mate, and a good life." Killian said, then stood up and put his hand on Zephyr's shoulder.