Distance

Thomison tossed and turned in her restless sleep, and soon woke up in the familiar and yet unfamiliar land where she met the Moon Goddess.

"My child," The goddess spoke softly. Thomison turned to look at her, a sense of fear draped across her skin.

"What is happening to my skin?" She asked, holding her hands up so the tall woman could see the blank ink-like color that soaked her skin and stained her nails.

"It's beginning, your truest form is becoming apparent, we live within one another, daughter. You within me, and I in you." The Moon Goddess sat on her knees and beckoned the smaller woman closer. Thomison knelt in front of her and grasped the Moon Goddess's hands that were reaching out to her.

"Don't be afraid, I have it too," She whispered, turning their hands over so that Thomison could see the Moon Goddess's hands, which also had the black color slipping over her. This all felt familiar for Thomison, though the memories felt just out of reach. They stood and walked in a random direction, over the rolling hills of white grass. The sky was a seafoam shade of green, with a burning purple sun that seemed to pulse rhythmically as they walked. Unconsciously, Thomison reached into the soil here and found she could almost taste the strings of power that danced through the earth, snaking through roots and wrapping around small rocks, she even felt the power bump into bones of long since dead creatures.

"You've a knack for it, don't you? How does it feel?" The Moon asked, watching Thomison walk through the grass with her hands skimming over the tops of the grass blades.

Then Thomison sat down without a word, and The Moon followed suit. "It tastes like your sun, it burns my senses but it feels so good, and the way the strings move is like traces from a dance no one else knows but the power. I can almost see it, I feel as if I could just..." Thomison poked her thumb and forefinger into the soil and, "Pull it out."

Thomison's hand returned from the soil with a slithering string that was both a burning gold and a subdued green. The girl studied the string for a moment, it was only a small portion of a large string, but as the color leaked into Thomison's own skin she found herself giddy and drunk with a new sense of power. It made her head fuzzy but it made her body light and free, as if she was floating.

The Moon Goddess watched silently as she discovered the nooks and crannies of this magical sense of power and the life of this land. Though as the power soaked into her body she laughed, it was something near drunk and heavy, but as she closed her eyes and tilted her head back the tips of her hair drained of color to a snowy white color. The Moon didn't miss the small bumps that began to push at her forehead nor the way that Thomison had begun to leave the ground ever so slightly.

When Thomison returned to reality and her own body she felt heavier and lighter at the same time. Her body felt different, she could just make out the sensation of pressure on her forehead and skin, but chalked it up to being from her power surge. Her fingers looked darker and her nails had grown a clear little amount. She found her feet and steadied herself. The Moon Goddess's face was clear and bright with joy and pride.

"You're doing fantastic, my daughter. Now, you must return. Your sun begins to rise on your lands, you don't want to miss it." With those few words The Moon Goddess placed a gently push on the center of Thomison's chest, then she fell backward and through the earth here like water and sat up in her own bed, warmth pulsing through her skin and pressing against the back of her eyes. She stood up and walked to the bathroom, glancing in at the mirror, seeing two small lumps right on her hairline.

Gods she was thirsty. She turned from the mirror and touched a gentle finger to the lumps, they felt sore, but not overly painful. Thomison turned the corner to the kitchen and almost dove for the sink, instead she calmly reached for a large waterbottle from the fridge. Cracking open the lid she might as well have chugged the whole thing in 2 seconds flat. Though in the blink of an eye she had drank the entire thing, and moved to refill it when someone turned on the kitchen lights.