Chapter Two

There was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" Judie cried, rushing up from her bean bag chair.

"No, I will!" Amy retorted, jumping up from her sprawled out position on the couch.

The girls furiously ran out of the basement, their friends chuckling as they calmly followed.

They eventually crowded at the door, secretly hoping Mrs. Errol had ordered pizza.

Judie (to Amy's dismay) ended up being the one who opened the door. Sadly, it wasn't the pizza guy.

"Hello," a smooth voice replied, "My name is Castor."

The girls were confused. Very confused.

"New kid?" Lori questioned.

"Well, I guess," he noted awkwardly, "Look, I have something very important to tell you."

"Which one of us is it?" Maddie questioned.

The boy looked confused, puzzled by Maddie question.

"She means," Alice explained, "Which one of us do you like?"

The boy - sorry, Castor - suddenly blushed, before replying, "Well, I'm sure you're all nice, but I'm here to discuss something of significant importance."

The girls suddenly got quiet, intrigued. They looked at each other and nodded.

"Come inside," Maddie suggested, as it was her house. The boy nodded, whispering a small "Thank you" on his way in.

Once the awkward group was settled in Maddie's living room, the boy spoke once more.

"What I'm about to tell you is top secr- "

"You haven't murdered anyone, have you?" Judie interrogated suspiciously. THe boy gave an alarmed look before replying.

"Oh, no!" he retorted, "Nothing of that sort. Well, possibly worse." "What?!" "Let me explain!"

This was probably the most awkward of silences.

"Has anyone noticed all the awkward silences lately?" commented Amy. THe other girls nodded.

"Any other strange occurrences, lately?" Castor questioned.

"Well, everything seems so repetitive," Alice suggested.

"And life seems so unreal," Lori continued.

"Don't forget the sudden reappearance of the school's potato wedges!" Maddie noted. The girls laughed at this, some (Well, all) of them drooling at the mention of the school's heavenly dish.

"Eh-hem," the boy coughed, "I'm here to explain what is happening."

The girls suddenly hushed, waiting in anticipated silence.

"The system is breaking."