Gwen (Morgana)

Morgana POV

I rubbed my eyes and looked around at the light flooding the corners of my room. The sun couldn’t have been up very long. I sighed and smiled for the day. I liked to think I was lucky to have fallen in love with my maidservant. I got to see her everyday, and have lunch with her today.

   I sat up and stretched my arms above me as I yawned. I picked up a glass of water from my nightstand and took a small sip. I dressed simply and quickly. I finished what had become my morning routine, after brushing my hair and doing a few other things. Gwen walked in not long after I finished.

   She wore a simple lavender dress, smiling widely at the bouquet of purple and white flowers in her hand.

   “You look happy,” I told her while a smile reached my face.

   “I picked these for you.”

   I hoped she didn’t see my blush as I spoke, “Oh, that’s so sweet.”

   “Something to cheer you up: I know you’re not sleeping well.”

   “You cheer me up,” I assured, my face only growing warmer.

   “Would you like me to put them in water for you?” Gwen asked.

   I nodded. I wanted to keep them for as long as I could. She smiled down at them again and turned away, going to fetch a vase and water.

•••

I dismounted my horse from a morning ride. It was calming, being alone in the woods. Almost alone. A guard always had to keep an eye on me, though he stayed discreet and was never within close distance of me. It made the piece of information a little more bearable.

   I walked my horse through the lower town, towards the castle entrance and stables. The sun was at the right angle for it to be a little before mid-day. I handed my horse's lead to the manservant at the stables with a thank-you and started towards the castle. I smiled to myself, Gwen and I were having lunch together today.

I got to my chambers and only a few moments after did Gwen walk in. I turned to her with a smile.

“Gwen,”

Gwen was smiling while holding a pair of trays filled with food.

•••

I was walking to the stables for my daily ride. I heard screams of innocence and followed them worridily. I rounded a corner to find guards grabbing Gwens arms forcefully and pulling her away while she screamed for help. Arthur stood there, watching the scene in front of him seriously.

   “Gwen?” I cried out.

   I turned to Arthur, still astonished and confused at what I had just witnessed.

   “What are you doing?” I demanded.

   “I found a magic poultice in her house.”