Chapter 11: Venice

[Summer, 2025 - Venice, Italy]

Hinata and Kageyama arrived in Venice via train. They had left Treia, Italy, where they had lived for the last year, a few hours before and were anxious to start their vacation in Venice.

The previous year had been an amazing whirlwind of volleyball and togetherness. For an entire twelve months, they had been with each other every day, playing on the same team, living together and no longer feeling that deep aching for each other that they had felt for so many years. They had settled into life in Italy, though it was somewhat of an adjustment for Hinata. He had learned a fair amount of Italian in the last year, which fortunately for him was somewhat similar to Portuguese. Hinata now had an intense appreciation for how Kageyama must have felt in Brazil.

Their team had had a great season, ending near the top of the standings for the Italian SuperLega, and while they fell short of the championship, it had still been a satisfying season professionally.

They were in Venice to celebrate their 3rd anniversary. Since Kageyama had planned their Paris excursion last year, Hinata took it upon himself to plan their Venice trip, vowing it would be just as romantic, if not more romantic than Paris. Because if there was one thing that hadn't changed, it was that competition was their love language.

The train arrived in Santa Lucia station in the early afternoon, and they were able to walk to their hotel on the Grand Canal. Neither had ever been to Venice before, so they were somewhat in awe as they walked along the canal observing the water taxis and gondolas that were the sole transportation method within the city, besides walking.

After a short walk, they arrived at their hotel, a three-story structure painted bright blue with white trim that seemed more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. They immediately liked the look of the place, as its cheery color stood out among the more muted tones of the buildings around it.

After checking in, they arrived in their third floor room, putting down their suitcases and observing their surroundings. The room was small with blue textured wallpaper, a bed with an antique white headboard and a blue and white striped quilt with gold threads running through it. There was an antique vanity with an upholstered chair, a small white dresser, and a bedside table. A window with shutters was next to the bed. When opened, it overlooked the Grand Canal. The room also boasted a small balcony, hardly large enough to hold two chairs, overlooking the canal. The bathroom contained an antique aesthetic as well, with a large claw tub and a pedestal sink.

After surveying the room, Hinata turned to Kageyama, a tiny bit nervous. "Do you like it, Tobio?"

"Yes, it's pretty," Kageyama answered. He looked to his boyfriend and noticed that Hinata looked relieved. "Come here, babe," he said, pulling the redhead in for a kiss. "Were you worried I wouldn't like it?"

"Maybe a little. It's not exactly super modern or anything."

"It's beautiful, just like you," Kageyama answered, making Hinata blush a tiny bit.

"Are you sure?"

"That you're beautiful? Yes," Kageyama teased, drawing a playful punch from Hinata.

"You know what I meant."

"Yes, I'm sure. It's great. Really."

***

Over the next several days, they explored Venice. They walked to Piazza San Marco, observing the water lines that showed how high the water rose during Acqua Alta. They visited St. Mark's Basilica and were in awe of the size of the structure, the domed ceilings and the gorgeous artwork.

They visited Doge's palace and admired the gothic architecture of the huge building. Inside, they gawked at the gold ceilings and the thousands of pieces of Renaissance art that adorned the palace. They marveled at the Great Council Chamber, which was essentially a room made of gold, and the Golden Staircase. The prisons were not so romantic, however. They were connected to the palace by the Bridge of Sighs, whose name comes from the sound that prisoners made as they glimpsed their last view of San Giorgio before being sentenced to the dark, dank prisons.