Epilogue

We stood in a military graveyard, looking down at Fred's tombstone.

Erika held my hand. "I'm sorry..."

I knelt next to the freshly buried hole, resting my hand on his tombstone. "'Til we meet again..."

April and Peggy approached as I got back to my feet. "Carlie, look." Peggy said, pointing towards a black sedan pulling up.

I rested my hand on my pistol as three men wearing black suits and dark sunglasses stepped out.

"Definitely spooks." April said, grabbing her gun as well.

The three men walked up to us, the one in the middle stepping forward. "There's no need for that." He said, gesturing to our guns.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked.

He smiled at me. "I'm the deputy director of the CIA."

"Sounds like we need those guns to me..." Peggy muttered.

"Listen, I'd like to formally apologize on behalf of the United States government. We're terribly sorry for your loss and we're willing to do everything in our power to make it up to you." The deputy director said.

"How about you just leave us alone?" Erika asked.

I nodded. "Don't ever step foot anywhere near me or any of my friends ever again. Or we'll give you a war you won't believe."

The deputy director stared me down. "Alright, Mrs. North... So be it. You ladies have a good day, now."

We watched as the men turned around and left.

It was quiet until their car drove off.

"Did you really just quote Rambo?" Peggy asked.

I let out a slight laugh. "Whatever. C'mon, let's get outta here..."

Greece, In The Summer...

   Erika and I sat in a couple lounge chairs on a private beach, overlooking the beautiful blue water. A slight breeze blew past us as Erika took my hand. "Carlie?"

   I turned to her, pulling my sunglasses down. "Yeah?"

   "What do you think about starting a life here?" She asked.

   I looked back over the ocean. "What about Venice?"

   She smiled. "I was getting a little bored of that place... Besides, you were right, Greece in the summer isn't half bad."

   I laughed a little, causing her to do the same. "Alright. What'd you have in mind?"

   She shrugged. "I don't know... Buy a nice little villa in town... Maybe start a family..."

   I turned to her again. "Family..? As in children..? Of our own..?"

   She chuckled. "Yes... Is there something wrong with that?"

   I shook my head. "No... I just never pictured myself having kids..."

   "Who's having kids?" Peggy asked.

   April stepped up behind her. "Did I hear someone say kids?"

   I rolled my eyes as I stood. "Alright, everyone just calm down."

   "Oh my God, is the Carlie North gonna have kids?" Peggy asked.

   I shook my head. "No."

   "Really?" Erika asked.

   I looked to her, then to Peggy and April, before letting out a long sigh. "Fine... I wanna have kids... I wanna start a family, settle down... I wanna live a normal life... Is that so hard to believe?"

   Peggy and April shared a look and a smile. "No." She said.

   "Actually, it'd be a welcome change of pace." April added.

   Erika stood in front of me then. "So? Are we doing this?"

   I took her hands in mine, looking deep into her eyes. "As long as we move far away from those two... Yes."

   Erika let out an excited squeal as she jumped into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist, attacking me with kisses. "I love you."

   I smiled up at her. "I love you to."

   Peggy rolled her eyes. "Barf. Yeah, you two can move as far away from us as you want."

   April chuckled. "C'mon, let's give them some space."

   She led Peggy further down the beach as I set Erika back down. "So, I guess we're really doing this."

   Erika smiled. "You bet your ass we are. I can't wait. Should we get a donor? Or maybe we could adopt? Oh my God, what're we gonna name them?"

   I smiled back as Erika continued to ramble on. Her excitement was contagious...

   From the ashes of death, comes new life. We finally found our freedom. We finally had the opportunity to live our lives the way we wanted to. No more fear looming over us. No more running for our lives.

   It was finally time to have a family of my own. To live life, instead of taking it.

   My name is Carlie North... And I'm no longer a hitman... I'm just a regular person now. A wife. And, soon to be, a mother...

The End