04 September 2007, Detroit
And time passed. Alex grew up and became now a child. 6 years old, but yet he still looks 3 in his mother's eyes. His black hair and grey eyes matched perfectly his pale skin. He still laughs and smiles at his mom voice, and he still loves to listen to her music. She still cares about him like the most precious thing in this universe and she kept protecting or at least she tries. Today is a very important day for the little boy. He is gonna start school at the primary school of Detroit. He has been talking about this day for weeks and he got very hyped at the idea of going to school, learn new things etc. But now that he is in front of the building, he won't let go off his mom.
Alex : Mommy I'm scared please come with me...
Maria: Hey darling why are you scared? There is no need to be.
Alex: What if the other children don't like me, what if they make fun of me?
Maria: If they do, then that means they are really stupid 'cause you are the most cool and funny little boy I know
The reply made the little boy laugh, and stop crying.
Alex: You are saying this because you are my mom! And I am the only little boy you know
Maria : Maybe, but you are still the best. And remember if the world bullies you then bully the world.
Alex : Okay I will! See you this evening mommy ! I love you more then the stars
Maria: And I love you more then the moon darling.
After these words, they parted. Maria made her way to Ben and Jon's cafe and Alex entered his new primary school. He was impressed by the big building and all the children that were there. He didn't talk or looked at anybody and just made his way to the classroom.
Teacher: Hi every one, I'm mister Jonson and I'm going to be your teacher this year.
All the class remained silent as their teacher explained what they were going to study this year.
Mr Jonson : However, we'll start school tomorrow. Today, I all want you to introduce yourselves to each other and make new friends.
A few minutes after Mr Jonson finished his speech, all the children were casually playing together. Alex, who was really shy, didn't want to stay with the others so he started drawing on his copybook. He then noticed a little boy who was drawing too, but he didn't pay much attention to him. Lunch time arrived, and all the students took out their meal from their backpack. Except for Alexander Ben Hernandez. Alex didn't have a lunch box since Maria didn't give him one, she didn't know she had to and didn't even have enough time for it. So the little grey eyed boy just sat on a tree of the courtyard, wondering why birds could fly. Since it was the end of summer, there were a small breeze tickling his face. A small smile illuminated his entire soul as he was humming a song his mom tough him.
On the other part of the courtyard, a little boy was eating his lunch alone, far away from the other children that scared him. He had brown hair and a matte complexion due to his Mexican origins. His eyes were blue, which was very uncommon but yet very beautiful. His skinny body was slouched on the grass, while his mind was wondering which shape was the clouds in the sky. He didn't notice the little boy with black hair and deep grey eyes that was on a tree. He was just enjoying the present moment and the chill atmosphere that emanated of it.
The bell rang, meaning that the children had to go back to class.
Three hours passed, and school was over. Parents were waiting for their children at the exit. Alex went back home alone because Maria couldn't come. He walked down Riopelle St, not minding the homeless man or the drunk men on his way. He knocked at the door of his home, hoping it won't be his father who would open the door. Fortunately, it was Maria.
Maria: Hey sweetheart! How was your day?
Alex: It was cool mommy.
Maria: Nice! Did you make new friends?
Alex: no I didn't but it's okay.
He took a shower, ate and was prepared to go to sleep when he heard his father coming back home. The little boy was wrapped in his blanket under his bed, scared that he will come for him.
Screams. Crying. Broken glass. Someone being beaten. Alex wasn't crying, or screaming. He was just afraid. Even tho he is used to it he still gets afraid every time his father is around him or his mom. He know what he is capable of. He knew it the time he saw his mom covered with blood trying to protect him from the monster Franks was. From that day he baca me his worst nightmare. He tries to hide it from his mom, so she doesn't stress about it but every night he dreams about it. No, it's not dreams, it's a nightmare. He wakes up sweaty and scared but he can't call Maria. He can't call anybody. If only he could runaway. If only he was strong enough to protect his mom. That was his only dream. "If only I was strong enough to protect her from him". Alex was young, but life made more mature than a lot of adults.
That's how it works. Some gets the chance to live a nice life where their biggest is problem is "should I buy this dress or not?" While other live in some kind of hell where every day is a new challenge where they have to stay alive. And because everyone is a selfish, whatever "side" you are from, nobody help the other. Our society is vicious and selfish and we know it. Yet we don't do anything to change it.