Part 8 - Count me in

8. Count me in

To feel envy is human, to savor schadenfreude is diabolic // German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer

("Schadenfeude" (Ger): harm-joy)

--

Tonje's POV

I thought I had done something wrong. Lene didn't purely hate me as I expected. Her feelings were all confused when she met me.

Mixed feelings. Yeah, that's a better word choice.

Why is that though?

And she seemed to often check out my legs. Only my legs.

Think again, she had numb legs. Maybe that's why.

Here I go again to Lene's house. Her mom was busy and not home often. That made her cruel step dad in control of the house.

I could see he hated Lene. For the fact he had another son that he had with the previous wife.

Lene's family was a middle class one having a decent house with a nice pool. They had some properties that were worth million dollars. Whereas, William, the step dad didn't have anything. Her mom Emma would give most of her money to Lene. That was why he didn't want Lene to live longer. If Lene passed away, his own son would inherit all of the properties.

Having said that, the little child of William was a sweet kid. He was too innocent to join in his dad's plan. Therefore, only William and I knew that he changed Lene's daily pills.

I was in my invisible state, walking towards the medical box. I knew where William placed his poisonous pills. I thought I would change them at ease like before. But a kid was scurrying around and I dropped the tablets.

I helplessly saw the pills drop from the medical box without stopping it. There was someone, I couldn't perform the action.

"Oliver, stop running!" The familiar voice sounded. Lene...

Oliver was her step-brother. He was a cute kid and he was active all the time.

"Sis, I'm sorry, I dropped your pills," he frowned.

Lene felt my presence, she was scanning around. I gulped. Of course she couldn't see me, but I was nervous as she started to doubt something.

"But Liv, you're standing 3 meters away from the box. How could you drop it?" There she was. Lene was smart.

"I stomped the floor, so I thought I made your medical box vibrate and yeah," he said. Yes, smart kid. I sighed in relief.

Lene was still in doubt, but she let it go.

"Don't run around the house like that again," she said, rolling her wheelchair.

"Yes, sis," then Oliver ran outside.

She was moving near me. Fvck. I felt our connection intensifying second by second. I could sense her warmth get closer to me as she came.

Did she know?

My sweat dropped on my face. Shit. I'm not done with changing the pills. I can't leave right now.

Lene was struggling as one pill seized one of her wheels. She couldn't move further. With a swift move, she picked up the pill and continued her journey.

Closer and closer. The connection became more and more strained. She was so close to me that if I were visible right now, our thighs would be touching each other.