Part 26 - St. Lucia day

26. St.Lucia day

Previously in Chapter 25: At the end of the semester, to everyone's surprise, it was Eva who got the top rank. Lene and Tonje both came second and Clara took the 4th place. After coming back from the cafeteria, Lene and Clara saw Synnove was making a snowman with Tonje, also Eva and Adam. Out of jealousy, Clara started a snow fight with the 4.

Lene made a big snow ball to throw at Tonje's face but she instantly regretted seeing Tonje hurting. Synnove defended successfully and she ushered Tonje to leave, ignoring the rest of the team.

—-

Tonje's POV (be ready to cry, guys)

It hurt seeing Lene falling back to David's arms again. Still, I reminded myself, I was going to leave Norway, probably never to come back. In 3 more months, maybe Asia would be my next stop as I served the Nordic region and Africa for too long. Granted, angels were only allowed to work 2 consecutive terms in a country, the final days with Lene would be my last time in Norway.

Too bad, I began to grow a kind of patriotism for Norway and now I was going to leave. I was aware that it was to keep our identity secret, but there was something keeping a piece of me here forever... Something strictly forbidden and I was too scared to name it.

Synnove comforted me that whole snowy day. As Synnove was one of the understanding girls, she sensed I was upset. Just like her. After the Hogberg match where she hurt the captain of the other team, our coach scolded her for the violence. I knew why she acted like that. Synnove liked Frida back when Frida had been in Norway, and now Frida left to protect her new selected human in Sweden.

In short, Jealousy was scary sometimes. It was also true between Lene and me, I just couldn't see her kissing him. But, instead of making a what-the-hell face at Lene, I chose the silence.

Synnove was nothing more than a friend to me. Yet, Lene's jealousy controlled her, urging her to pour the anger on my head. At a moment when the snowball was heading to my face, I felt Lene's instant regret. That was enough.

Apparently, I didn't mind. I was a bigger person here.

And, well, I was going to leave anyway. Reasonable enough.

///

"Sign here and here," my lawyer instructed me.

I carefully wrote down my signature at the bottom of the leasing contract as well as the Hansen bank account left for me. Tomorrow I would turn 18 and those contracts would be applied.

When I was done, my salesman shook my hand and congratulated me on having a new lease apartment.

"Are you sure you want to leave, Ton? My house has enough room for you," Emma said.

"Again thank you for your hospitality, and believe me I love you guys. I honestly love your family. But I have to move out, I have my own reasons, sorry I can't tell you all about that."

Emma Jorgensen nodded, as understanding as she was. Then she gave me a warm hug. I loved her, I really did. She had affection and kindness, too much for an ordinary person. Thus, she had welcomed me with open arms and I knew that was her true feelings.

Also Emma gave birth and raised Lene to be one of the most wonderful girls in Norway. Except, Lene wasn't created for me, but her human society.

(Don't worry, I won't cry.)

.

I felt her presence behind the door when I was packing my stuff. Lene, my assigned human. She was there, just a door away, listening to her internal void. She was there, wondering if knocking on my door was a good idea. Lene wanted to say goodbye, I supposed.