Part 9 - The miserables

9. The Miserables

Lene's POV

Why did Tonje run away?

Gosh this is awkward. Tonje watching David kiss me is awkward. I felt like I was caught. A betrayal.

But I shouldn't feel like that. She was just a hater, nothing more.

More lies, Lene. Of course, Tonje is something. She hasn't done any damage. She dislikes me but she still appeared to help in time.

Wait... Did David imply that Tonje was jealous of me? Was it because of that? I didn't really know the truth about their relationship but they were very close. And after they had parted I and David just clicked instantly. Was it too quick, too?

I grabbed my head, questioning everything.

"I-I have to go," I told David. Then I rolled my wheelchair to the door of the library but Tonje was out of sight. She had long legs and she was a track star, no doubt...

----

The day after, I looked for Tonje left and right. She wasn't in class as early as usual. Because she had all classes with me, I would meet her somehow.

I calmed myself, maybe Tonje just went to school late. She always had mysterious business, I recalled what David often said.

However, Tonje didn't come at all. I waited until the third and fourth hour and Tonje was nowhere to be found.

The teachers also recognized the emptiness of our discussions. Our class was very quiet without her. Students yawned and fell asleep here and there.

Normally, if I cared enough for an absent friend, I could just ask their clique of friends. But as Tonje transferred from B, she no longer formed her group.

I just realized that. She left everything behind just to be here to annoy me.

I shook my head. No, don't take it personal, Lene. Not everything she does is about you.

Her closest friend in class was Eva, they were partners in most of our subjects.

I wasn't close to either Eva or Tonje. Indeed, I was their academic enemy in class. So, asking for Tonje was rather strange. But I couldn't know anything without asking Eva. Be brave, Lene.

It was almost lunch time.

I held back my fear, sighing. Then I held my chin up and called Eva. Eva was sitting just behind me.

Don't be so dramatic.

"Eva?"

She was talking to another boy in the back, but she turned to me, "Hei hei. What's up?"

Lucky me, Eva was a sociable girl. She didn't furrow her brows or something.

"Do you know where Tonje is?"

"You miss your star-crossed lover already?" Eva teased.

What? Star-crossed lover? I rolled my eyes, "It's just not her style: left me hanging."

Eva giggled, "You know, what you have just said sounds misleading as fuck."

"She left me hanging?"

She nodded, "That's what they say when they have unfinished seggs."

I blushed.

She still giggled, "Kidding. And Come on. She's just absent for today. Enjoy your peace." Then Eva gave me a wink.