Three

"Mom, this is my friend Makkari." Druig responded to her hesitantly. He knew she wasn't there to be nice, she was sticking her nose in places where it didn't belong as usual.

Makkari smiled at her politely even though his mom was looking her up and down in displeasure. "Hi Ms. Engel, it's nice to meet you. The banquet you threw today is very lovely."

She looked surprised to find out that Makkari was deaf. She signed back slowly. "Thank you, it's nice to meet you too."

It fell silent between them and Druig cleared his throat. "Makkari and I were just about to-"

"Are you leaving?" His mom asked, a tinge of annoyance behind her voice.

"Yes, I'm leaving."

She glanced at Makkari. "With her?"

"Yes, with her mom, can you just mind your business?"

"You can't just walk out in the middle of our banquet Druig-"

"Oh yeah? I can't? Watch me." He looked at Makkari as he walked ahead. "Let's go."

Makkari gave him a wary look but followed behind him. They left the hall quickly into the cool city night. Makkari hugged herself tightly to warm her body up.

Druig sighed. "I'm sorry we had to leave so fast, if we stayed there any longer she probably would've held us against our will."

"I get the feeling she didn't like me."

"She's like that to everyone at first." He said. "But now you see why I wanted to get out of there. My parents are so suffocating sometimes."

"You're lucky to have them."

Druig noticed she had a solemn expression on her face. "What do you mean?"

"My parents died when I was young."

"Oh, god, I'm so sorry-"

"Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault."

"I know...I just feel bad."

She smiled softly. "It's okay. It was tough for me at first and it still is. I've had to overcome many obstacles on my own, but I feel in some way it has made me a stronger person. Now I'm not afraid to face the world."

Druig stared at her, absorbing her presence. He'd never been so intrigued by someone before.

She caught him staring and smirked. "What?"

"Nothing." He looked away quickly.

"So," she glanced around the area, "where exactly are you taking me?"

He began looking around as well. "I don't know, where would you like to go?"

"I barely know this city as well as you. You must know all the best places."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes, to be honest I only had some of the quinoa snacks and-"

"They were gross right?"

They both laughed.

Makkari nodded. "I didn't want to be mean, but yeah, they weren't exactly the best."

"It's okay, I was thinking the same thing too." He chuckled. "Don't worry, there's a really nice restaurant close by here. I think you'll like it."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you taking me out on a date?"

Druig shook his head. "Nope, just a simple dinner as an acquaintance."

"Okay-"

He bent down towards her and they locked eyes. Their faces were only a few inches away from each other. "Unless you want it to be."