Dec. 25 2021, 10:01 PM

When I woke up, the party was already in full swing.

For a moment, I was completely disoriented. How long had I slept for? What time was it? And why was I hearing so much commotion from downstairs? But then I remembered our Christmas party, and then wondered why nobody had bothered to wake me up.

Quietly, I opened the door to my bedroom a crack and stepped out, peeking over the winding staircase bannister to look down into the foyer. There were still a few guests arriving, and a handful just leaving. I tiptoed back into my room to check the time. It was already ten in the evening.

I knew I'd started baking around seven thirty this morning, then finished at about two in the afternoon. Then it'd taken me about an hour and half to finish decorating. So from three thirty to ten o'clock was about six hours and thirty minutes, which was about how long I'd been asleep.

Leave it to me to be late to my own party.

I'd collapsed onto the bed again, so I dragged myself off of it and headed to my vanity to get dressed. After I'd washed up and began to do my makeup, I noticed the little stuffed doll sitting atop the table that I'd swiped for myself during the visit to the toy store. So last night (and a bit of this morning) had actually happened. I kept expecting to wake up to realize that it was all some elaborate dream, but it wasn't. Everything with Sunghoon had been real.

With a start, I remembered that I had a boyfriend now.

I chuckled to myself as I drew on eyeliner, which then caused my hand to shake and ruin it, so I had to rub it off and start all over. It was still so funny to me, that just one night had changed so much. Ah, well. Stranger things have happened.

When Taylor Swift's "Christmas Tree Farm" started blaring through my little speaker, I began to sing along as I completed my makeup and stepped into my dress. It was gorgeous, a pretty emerald color made of some kind of shimmery material, which was exciting. It was short, very slim-fitted, cinched at the waist, and came down to about mid-thigh. Once I accessorized with silver jewelry and a clutch, I was ready. But I'd forgotten to do something with my hair, so I just pulled it into a low knot and called it a day.

I wasn't about to wear heels in my own house, and I couldn't find my usual grey bedroom slippers, so I decided my fluffy bunny ones would have to do. Then I skipped down the stairs to join the party.

Jaeri was the first to intercept me. "Did Santa come?" she asked excitedly, without so much as a hello.

I frowned. "Wow, so you only care about Santa? Not me?"

"No, no." My little sister gestured for me to lean down so she could give me a placating kiss, and I grudgingly accepted it. "I care about you too!"

"Whatever," I grumped, pretending to be miffed. "How was your trip, sweetheart?"

"Good! Mom and Dad let me meet my friends."

I ruffled her hair. "See? What did I tell you?" Still, I could sense Jaeri's impatience for me to answer her question. "Anyway, he did leave a present for you in the dining room. Didn't you see it?"

Her brow creased adorably. "No! Is it really there?"

"Of course. If it isn't, ask Mom if she put it somewhere else." I drew Jaeri back before she could scamper off to retrieve her gift. "He left another thing for you, here." I reached into my clutch, pulled out the little paper bag containing her surprise toy. "We'll all open our presents under the tree later, but you can open this one now."

"Wow!" Her eyes were round circles as she took it from me. "I must have been extra extra good this year!"

"I don't think so," I said, and she pouted.