Chapter Four

(Clara's younger brother Little Andrew)

Clara's POV

I had been working on finishing up on some unfinished hems of late. My mind had been preoccupied with my thoughts of Lord Mannering and his overly hardened husky exterior, but somehow I couldn't forget the gentle softness of his words when he called me beautiful the day we stared gallantly at the sunsetting.

I didn't understand what was happening to me. All of a sudden this man, Lord Mannering shows up out of the blue and into my life and here I am pondering over it all day by day since we saw each other last. I felt terrible enough to write Lord Mannering a letter which I know was probably completely out of my bounds. I felt I had no other choice somehow needing an excuse to redeem myself, and I surely wasn't expecting anything out of it when I seen a well-bred stallion, dark as night, tied to a post near the Vicarage my family lived in.

I tip-toed downstairs silently. Everything was so still and quiet and then I heard voices continuing, coming from the parlor before stepping inside and asking my mother who had arrived.

To my surprise the strange visitor turned out to be Lord Mannering and after my mother politely excused herself leaving us alone for the second time since meeting I couldn't help the same familiar swirl of nervous energy mixed with apprehension, but there was something else hidden there as well. Could it be...excitement I thought to myself. Scanning the fine Lord Mannering over although in his aged stance there was something desirably taunting and daringly perplexing about his whole demure.

After one good look at Lord Mannering he looked as if he rode all the way here. His curls were tussled in the slightest way and I couldn't ignore his overly toned body peeking through his shirt that was falling effortlessly over his skin. He didn't even bother to put on a coat. I told myself as I observed him. Lord Mannering must have been quite in a hurry to get here, or presumably wherever he was attempting to go.

My thoughts all subsided when he revealed his true reasons for coming to my home. His voice deep and husky ringing in my ears imprinting on my mind without my consent or knowledge.

"I've just received your letter. There is something I must hear in person is this true?"

I was baffled. I had not expected Lord Mannering to even respond, let alone show up to my family home and converse with me in my family parlor alone. I blinked at him a few times before finding the right words and parting my lips.

"Why, yes. I just wanted to say that..." Lord Mannering took two steps closer and I felt a deep lump in my throat and in my heart. "It would not trouble me to marry a man, such as yourself."

The look on his face was stone and hardened and for a moment fear struck over me and I could not tell if I then again offended him by referring to him as just a mere man, or some of the sort.

"That is...not what I was expecting." He says taking a deep breath stretching out his fingers and massaging his knuckles. I then wondered in that moment what it would be like for those same strong fingers to massage my body in the most tenderest ways and nearly fainted.

"Miss Copeman? Are you well?" Lord Mannering says before rushing to my side seeing me safely to the couch nearby for comfort.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I am well, or so I thought..." He gives me a puzzled look. "I mean...what were you expecting?"

In that moment I noticed how his hand slightly held my elbow with a careful attentive grip. His lightly placed eyebrows furrowed in concern and I noticed he glared at me with the same hardened look in his eyes. His eyes lingered down to my mouth before he pushed himself slowly away and sat leaving an empty space big enough for another person between us.