Chapter One

(A picture of Clara's hair)

Clara's POV

Tonight was the night was the night. I breathed out slowly examining myself over in the mirror again. Mama had told me yesterday evening of news that a handsome Lord would be upon our very door step on this very evening to accompany our family for dinner, but ultimately he was here to ask upon my hand in marriage.

I honestly couldn't believe it. My fiery red curls still draped my face and were braided neatly in a bun lingering down the nape of my neck, with pearls and white string. My hair was exceedingly long and braids were the only true way to contain its red curly fierceness. My face, pale as porcelain, lightly kissed with freckles honest from my mother although my mother's hair is black and my father's dark brown, however my red hair never puzzled me I always embraced it in all its beauty and unruliness.

Being the Vicar's daughter allowed my family to live in the vicarage, which was located a bit further away from the church. My family and I were far from wealthy, with a five person household surviving off of nearly sixty pounds a year. However, we've recently afforded to live a bit more comfortably with my mother taking up her work as a seamstress.

We moved here when I was in my sixth year. That's when my father took on the position and then it felt as though my life had ultimately changed for the better. My family finally had a home, a decent one and I loved every bit of it's two stories and shabby but neat looking furniture, and as I scanned myself over I felt slight anguish of the thought of finally after eleven long years, that I would be leaving it all behind.

My favorite part about living here were the days where gardens and weeds are out of control because our family could not afford landscapers but the view truly was a sight and sometimes Mama, Papa along with my little brother Andrew and I would sneak out the back door and all stand there watching the blazing sunset in amazement, when we were all around that is, of course, and I secretly cherished those sweet happy times.

However, tonight I wore a pale blue cotton long sleeved dress with a lace trimmed collar. Nothing new, nothing fancy. I thought to myself. However was I supposed to somehow impress a noble Lord with such a sheepish garment? There was a knock suddenly at the door of my room and my mother bolted in promptly.

"Clara, dear. Hunny, dinner is almost being served." Mother said exasperatedly. My mother's name was Claudia. The look on her face told me I was in dire need of fixing my legs in the direction of our small dining room. I know my mother probably thought this was the best match she would be able to pull off for me, no gentleman would call on a penniless girl, dressed like a mere peasant, and she was right of course. The only man who had proposed to me was a childhood friend from the church.

Sadly, for his case I had never been attracted to him, we both had nothing to offer each other and at least if we were to be poor together I'd hoped we would be in love, however that was not the case so it did not pain me to politely decline Mr. Roberts offer. I still hoped that deep down that I would eventually marry a man that I love. The thought of being in love made me shudder a little and my insides started to flutter.

"Mama, I'm just nervous." I admit shyly.

"Oh, for heaven's sake child, you have absolutely nothing at all to be nervous about! Our guest hasn't even arrived." My mother admitted dryly. I could see her slight frustration.

"But, surely he will come, mama?" I ask with a tad bit of despair. Somewhat already losing hope on the new found match.

"Oh, yes of course darling. He promised me and he sounded quite desperate." Mama says casually.

"Mama!" I screech with a sly grin cracking at the corner of my lips. I wonder why he must be desperate, so? If that be the case then my chances might be much more plausible.

"Let us go now, darling." She says with a reluctant smile and finally my legs seem to make their way into the direction to the small dining room following behind my mother in an all too familiar fashion. It didn't seem so scary at all until I finally sat down in my seat and the door bell rang abruptly after, causing my stomach to curl and drop to the very floor of the dining room.

My eight year old little brother sat diagonally across from me at the table with unnerving giddiness and ample anticipation to meet the new stranger that was gracing our home. We had already told my little brother Andrew exactly what was to be taking place tonight since he's at a quite knowledgeable age for a young boy.

"Sister, are you to fall in love with a Lord and have babies?" He asks and then his pale freckle-faced cheeks turned burnt orange with embarrassment.

My grandmother and our housekeeper, Isadora Copeman, or Nana, stood at the threshold with a gentleman I've quite never seen before and all the air in my lungs became suddenly caught in my throat.

"Lord Mannering, may I present you to my family. Mr. and Mrs. Copeman, along with their lovely daughter Miss Copeman and her brother Andrew." She says at once before excusing herself off to serve the dishes of the finest food we could afford, beef stew, but something was always magnificent about the stew when Nana made it.

"Good evening." Lord Mannering says gruffly with a hint of boredom in his tone. Was he already not enjoying his evening? I took in that the man that who stood before my family was quite tall and slightly tanned, with thick broad shoulders and strikingly handsome features. His light curly brown hair tussled over his head in attempt to slick it all back but his curls remained nevertheless. His eyes were deep, blue, and dark. However, I noticed something about him slowly and my eyes widened upon realizing

"Well, please do sit, Lord Mannering, we've saved you a seat in front of our lovely daughter, Clara." My mother says eagerly with a smile on her face motioning the fine Lord to take the seat in front of me. Just in that moment I looked up Lord Mannering and I locked gazes. I felt a rush of heat surge through me.

My realization was that this man was much much order than I.