16 | our song

Of all the surprises Taehyung had brought me, this was by far the worst. Even if I wanted to win something so bad, I didn't expect me joining a karaoke contest.

The thought of Taehyung being discreet with me completely extinguished the moment he suggested such idea. Not to mention he had only heard me singing out of tune just once, how dare he used the word "beautiful"?

Mocking at me?

"Go do it yourself."

I shot him a glare and stood up, walking away.

Taehyung wasn't bothered by my impolite reaction though. He quickly caught up with me and nudged my arm playfully as we started strolling to. . . well, nowhere.

"What's with you, Wheein-ssi?" - He didn't even hide his giggle - "You don't want to win?"

"Could we just play anything but getting on the stage?"

"What's wrong with it?"

"I don't like it."

"But you sing well. We will have high chance to win . . ."

"No "we" here. I'm just not comfortable singing to people, ok? Just do it yourself if you want to. You sing well, too."

"Nah. . . You're being critical today. . ."

"I'm not!"

"Or. . ." - He let out a sniffing laugh - "You only want to sing for me, yeah?"

"Shut up!"

I cut him off with another glare and quickly detached myself from him, darting my eyes around for any other game with high possibility to win.

But nothing caught my eyes. They either were too crowded - like the archery area, always packed with people - or required too much physicality - like the hand wrestling.

I then made my way through the busy grass field, turns after turns past lots of people - young girls in trendy bohemien outfits, guys in cool black leather jackets and jeans exuding rock and roll vibe - and finally found myself stop in front of the main stage.

It was an hour before the main performance and the stage crew was still busy reviewing the equipments.

Meanwhile, festival goers were allowed to freely take over the stage to sing however they wanted to and receive random gifts from the organizers. There was no contest like we had expected.

Yet the girl on the stage right now was pulling an impressive performance with her cute yet jazzy rendition of "Dance the Night Away" by the well-known girl group Twice. I nodded along to her singing in amusement.

She sounds better than a lot of idols these days.

And I envied her for being brave to get on the stage like that, whether for a contest or just a random performance.

Speaking of getting on the stage. . .

Gosh! I had left Kim Taehyung behind.

○●○

Damn it.

He didn't bother to pick up my call. Did I unintentionally hurt him or such? Nah, Taehyung didn't look like he would hold a grudge, much less the only harsh word from me to him was a mere Shut up.

Nevertheless, I had arrived at where to got to so waiting was the only thing to do next. Taking off my cap and wear it backwards, I settled down on the grass field, just like the other early spectators, and texted him briefly.