23

No friggin way

"Tell me you're joking" I looked over at Bale with shock and confusion plastered on my face.

The red head sat beside me and flashed me a smile before turning to Bale.

"Av-avril? You're my mom? How?!" I stared dumbfounded.

She took in a very deep sigh and looked at me. A sudden sadness washed over those green orbs and she turned to look at Bale.

"Change me back"

Bale nodded and snapped it's fingers and a poof happened I front of my eyes.

The young preppy girl was now gone and replaced by an older woman. She looked to be in her late 30's. Her red hair was less vibrant and longer than before, her green eyes sparkled brighter and her beautiful figure stood out in the beautiful dress she was wearing.

She looked like mom

My mouth was agape, no word came out from it as I looked from Bale to Avril continuously.

Avril suddenly let out a light chuckle that was pleasing to the ears.

"You're wondering how, yeah?"

My mouth clamped shut and I nodded.

"You see" she started. "Tanya and I used to be best friends back in the day and we had the same plight, to build an orphanage for the city. We started by taking in kids that were on the streets  but later on, I found out that she got bored and was killing kids if they don't get adopted by 18 and when I found out, I noped the eff outta there. I then went off to finish my bachelor's degree in psychology and that was where I met your father, Jordan Woods. He was a lovely man and before we knew it, we were married and with a lovely daughter. He insisted I name her April because it sounded alot like mine and I did. But weeks later, a tragedy happened and he lost his life in a plane crash. I was devastated and broken to the core that I couldn't physically take care of you anymore. I then handed you over to your aunt and uncle who promised to love you like their own. I went to therapy afterwards and I was better and relieved from my trauma and wanted you back, but when I went to your aunt and uncle's house, they were gone. They packed up and left with everything, including you. It broke me to know my baby was gone and I didn't know where she was. I tried calling but they wouldn't answer and I sent letters, but none came back. And that was when I scoured the world for my April but before then, I went to see this monstrosity in front of us. I exchanged my happiness for immortality and told it that when I find you, I would be back. For ten years, I lived in a high schoolers body, looking for you. But now I found you, and boy, was I ecstatic when I saw you in class that day. I couldn't take my eyes off you. And now I'm here to gain custody over my daughter and to regain my happiness".

I gawked at her as she smiled triumphantly.

"But.......but what about Mae and Jade. How will I tell them this.......that you're my mom?"

She rested a hand on my shoulder.
"Don't worry April. I'll talk to them about it and I'll also adopt them, along with Oliver and Tyler so none of them dies here".

Tears brimmed my eyes and I lunged at her and wrapped my arms around her neck. She rested her hand on the small of my back and nuzzled her face in my hair.

"Thank you Avril........I mean mom" I said.

"I should be thanking you dear. You are such a good person and I guess Renee did train you well".

I felt a sense of happiness wash over me and I finally knew me and my sisters weren't alone in this world.

~~

"I don't get it. How?" Mae asked, confused.

A little while after I found out Avril was my mom, we went to break the news to my sisters and everyone else. We didn't tell them the real truth, obviously, but there were some parts of it in there.

The confusion on Mae's face was evident and funny, but Jade hadn't uttered a word since she heard Anna was dead. I was starting to get worried.

The moon had rolled around and Tanya hadn't come out of her room since, but I passed her door a couple of times and I heard wails and sobs and sniffles. I guess Anna had an impact on her, even though she hadn't really seen her long.

I sat beside Jade and patted her blonde hair. She looked up at me but didn't say anything.

"I know it's hard right now Jade, but we have to move on from Anna, sooner or later, and focus on what's ahead. Mom wants to adopt us and we should really look forward to it and be happy, even for a little while" I said.

She immediately slapped my hand off her head and got up, attracting everyone's attention.

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT AFTER EVERYTHING THAT JUST HAPPENED!!. ARE YOU STUPID, APRIL? HUH? CANT YOU SEE THAT WERE ALL GOING THROUGH A HUGE LOSS AND YOU'RE HAPPY THAT YOU FOUND YOUR REAL MOM? I CANT BE HAPPY APRIL, NOT AFTER WHAT HAPPENED TO ANNA. YOU ARE SUCH A SELFISH PERSON AND ONLY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF. WELL GOOD LUCK, BECAUSE IM NOT COMING TO LIVE WITH YOU!" she yelled and walked off but before she was out of sight, she said one last thing that broke my heart.

"That woman is not my mother and she will never be. I hate you April" and she was gone.

A silence fell over the room and the atmosphere was tense. Mae suddenly got up and walked towards me.

"I'm staying here with Jade. Not because it's my responsibility but because she is my sister and deserves more than this. Goodbye April"

I watched Mae walk away and my heart broke even more. I lost Anna, and now I'm gonna lose my other sisters and it's all my fault.

*
April is coming to an end guys. Brace yourselves, we have some more chapters to go😭🤧