2.

I feel like the sun comes up a little faster when I have things to do. I woke up at 6:00 AM this morning, and the sun was already shining bright as if it was mid-day. I got out of the bed and slowly started to make my way down the hallway to the bathroom.

I stood in the bathroom for a minute, looking at myself in the mirror. Hoping that I wouldn't wake Madison up, I turned the lights on and started to get ready for the day. This is the only time of the day that I'll be alone with my thoughts. This also happens to be the time of the day that I hate the most. Memories of my family flooded my mind. Thoughts of all of the good times that I had with my parents before they decided they didn't love me anymore. I thought about Jemarie and how sweet she was until she decided she didn't want to be my sister anymore. I thought about the day that I killed them and started my life over. Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted. I heard something fall and immediately rushed to find what it was. When I left the bathroom, I heard the doorbell ring.

Who could be trying to visit this early in the morning? I thought. I went to open the door, but Madison had beat me there. She opened the door, but there was no one there. "It's just a brown box. It doesn't have any labels on it," she sounded confused. I picked the box up, and I could see my name faintly written in pencil. I looked around to see if Madison was still in the room. When I knew I was alone, I opened the box. There was a slice of chocolate cake and a note. I picked up the note and cleaned off the chocolate as best as I could.

"I'm not dead," it read in purple ink. I could recognize this handwriting anywhere. It was Jemarie.

I ran to look outside, but no one was there. I took a step out, and just as I thought, there was no one on the whole street. I shook my head to myself and went back inside. Just as I closed the door, I saw Madison walk towards the cake.

"This looks so good! Can I have some?" she said, starting to grab a fork. I firmly shook my head no. Then, I swiped the cake onto the floor, knowing what the outcome would be for my hungry, pregnant wife.

"Remember what the doctor said about gluten," I said, using that as an excuse for her not to eat the possibly poisonous cake. I was hoping that she wouldn't think that I was acting weird. Madison's face became flustered as she opened her mouth to speak but decided against it.

"I don't think the doctor ever said anything about gluten?" she questioned. I shook my head and started to pick the cake up from the floor.

"Yes, he did. I'll buy you a gluten-free cake from the market if you want sweets today," I said quickly, not giving Madison any time to argue. She nodded her head happily and went back into the bedroom. I cleaned the cake and thought about if it's possible for Jemarie to still be alive. I decided that there's no way and that someone was playing some sort of sick game.

I finished getting dressed and tried to go on about my day as usual. When I got to work, there was another brown box at my desk. I opened the box to see another piece of cake and another note. This one said, "It'll be nice to see you after so long, Evan," I threw the box away and kept the note. I didn't need anyone seeing my real name and asking any questions. I looked around to see if maybe Jemarie was in the building somewhere. I didn't see her, but I had a bad feeling.

I decided that it would be best for me to work from home today. I wanted to make sure that Madison would be safe. I quickly walked back out to my car and drove home, praying that my sister wouldn't be at my house when I got there.