8.

I'm doing my best not to panic in front of Madison. I pull out my phone and immediately text Josh.

"Madison didn't get rid of the phone. Some guy had Jemarie's location, and he's on his way to the hospital!"

"How far away is he? I'm on my way."

"It looks like he's about 20 minutes away."

I put my phone away and opened Jemarie's phone. I looked one more time at the location before I stopped sharing her location and took the battery from the back of her phone. I told Madison that I would be right back after I was sure that the baby wasn't coming yet. I went outside, and there was an ambulance pulling up. I didn't think much of it and kept walking.  I walked a few minutes to the hospital. I saw some people having a bonfire in the middle of a big field. It looked like they were getting ready to put the fire out and leave.

"Hey, is this your fire?"

"Yeah, I'm getting ready to put it out. Did you want it?"

I nodded, and they walked away. I threw the phone in the fire along with Madison's clothes. I looked around to make sure that no one was walking by. I stood there long enough to ensure that everything was burnt sufficient, and I walked away. I pulled out my phone to see that Josh was calling me.

"I'm at the hospital. Where are you?"

"I'm on my way back there now."

I hung up and made my way back to the hospital. When I got there, Josh was already waiting for me outside. He pulled me away from the building and towards the parking lot. We walked to his car, and soon as we were both inside, Josh let out a loud breath.

"I hit him with my car. I think he might be dead. I ran him off of the street, and he went through the window."

I stopped him and got out of the car.

"Go here," I said, giving him a piece of paper, "Ask for Manny and tell him that Evan sent you. Don't tell him what happened, but ask him to fix your car back up, and I'll have him say that you were in the shop with him all day if you ever need an alibi for this."

I walked away from the car, and he pulled away. When I got back into the building, there were police everywhere. I tried to make my way back to Madison's room, but I was stopped at the elevator.

"Are you here for someone, sir?" An officer was standing there holding the straps on his vest.

"My wife is in labor," I spoke quickly to end the conversation. The officer walked away, and I got into the elevator. Once the elevator stopped moving, I got out and ran to Madison's room. Luckily she hadn't had the baby yet.

"Is everything taken care of?" She asked as if there was no one else in the room. I nodded and pulled a chair up to her bed. We sat for a few hours, and then I remembered what she said earlier about that extra person coming here.

"Maddy, who's Justin?"

"That's my real dad. My mom married Lewis when Janiah and I were two and three. We weren't really around him all that much until just recently."

I nodded, but I didn't press her about it. Just yesterday, she learned that my whole life is a lie. It's probably not the best time to talk about keeping secrets anyway. It hurt a little that she never told me that Lewis wasn't her dad.

"Can you go see if he's here?"

"Yeah," I looked over to see Janiah sleeping, and I walked back out of the room. I was a little nervous, but it's no big deal.

"I see random people every day.  He's just a guy," I tried to tell myself, but then I saw him. Justin Lockkard.