Rain

He began running on his own as the situation seemed to sink in. The Nazis had finally come. Everyone assumed it would happen but as a month went by, they began to relax and get too comfortable. They weren’t prepared and everything seemed to be against them. The wind had picked up in the night causing the fires that the explosions had caused to spread quicker and surround them. He picked up his gun and aimed through the flames towards a group of Nazis. As he fired, everything else went quiet. All he heard was his heartbeat. Sure, he had killed before, but he was prepared then, not now. The soldier from before began shouting at him to move as he just stood and stared. Explosions. Screaming. Fire. He was overwhelmed by the violence of the situation but managed to come back to reality as he thought of his sister. He had to survive this, for her. As he dodged a couple explosions, the soldier guided him to where a few others had hidden in. It was a small basement near the beach. Some of the men had found it when they were looking for resources. It wasn’t much but it helped them feel safer. He closed his eyes and shivered as the screams of his allies appeared to echo in the small concrete room. Some of the soldiers tried to leave again to help their friends but were pushed back in by one of the higher-ranking officers. It was too dangerous to leave now; it would give away their positions.

Hours they spent just waiting. Once it got colder, they assumed it was then night time and so decided they would all take turns being on watch. After a while it was his turn, but he didn’t manage to go to sleep before that. Everything was too chaotic. At one point they were calm and relaxed, he was sleeping peacefully in his new house. And now, they are huddled close underground waiting to either be shot or to manage to find a way out.  He stood up from his seated position and paced around the small space he had. Panic began to rise in his throat as he stared at the heavily sealed everything. They were stuck. He was stuck. His heartrate picked up as his breathing became ragged and uneven. His eyes darted around the room. The black mould and slow dripping sounds of water seemed to torment his dishevelled state which only made him worse. He gripped at his chest and slid down the wall into a seated position with his knees tucked tightly under his chin. Even in the large amount of room that he had, he felt as though his movements were constricted by an unknown force. To get his mind to stop wandering, he looked for something, anything, to calm him down. As his eyes skimmed over the sleeping faces of the soldiers, he noticed that most had neutral expressions, but a few had pained looks on their faces. Their lips seemed to permanently be down turned into a frown. A long sigh could be heard, and he noticed that he had calmed down whilst he was thinking. Soon, everything was silent until faint strumming could be heard on the thin layer of mud above them. Finally, the rain has come.