Chapter Fourteen

"How did it go on the way home?" May texts our group chat. "I didn't know if you noticed when we left." I type back. "You were so busy going at each other." I add. "We did notice a little." Anthony admits. "So anyways..." I send. I wait a minute before typing again. "Kevin drove me to his house last night." I say. "What?!" May and Anthony type separately but almost at the exact same time. Just a hair of a second off of each other. "He drove you to his house?" May asks. "What happened there?" Anthony asks. "Nothing. We were in his drive way but I had to go home so I asked him to take me home." I say. There is nothing on either of their ends for at least a minute and a half. "You just sat in his drive way?" May types first. "And nothing happened?" Anthony adds. "Yes..." I say. Another minute passes. Anthony replies first this time. "And after that he just took you home?" He questions. "We kissed." I type quickly. "You kissed?" May asks. "Was it your first kiss?" She adds. "No." I say. "Our first kiss was when we confessed our feelings for each other." I add. "And you didn't tell us?" Anthony sends. "We were kind of in the middle of a crisis with you at the time." I say. "Oh yeah." He says in realization. "But then you kissed again?" May asks. "Yeah." I say. A minute passes. This is beginning to be a pattern. "I really am proud of you Oliver." May says. "We both are." Anthony types a second later. "I really wish we could be there for you more than we are right now." May says. "It's fine." I say in response. "No.  It isn't fine." May says. "We have been shitty friends and that's not ok." She goes on. "Oliver i am so sorry that we haven't been around more." "No. Really. It's fine." I insist. "Kevin has been great to me and it doesn't make you guys bad friends or anything. You have just had your own problems that you have to take care of. All three of us do." I say. "I have been neglecting my duty as a friend to you guys. Anthony was in need yesterday and needed my help and I totally dropped the ball on that one because I wanted to be with Kevin and that was super fucked up of me and I am so sorry." I add. I feel really bad typing this. "I was having problems but I really was happy with May helping me. I want you to be able to spend time with your boyfriend too. Oliver it is great that you have a boyfriend and we do not want to stand in the way so please don't beat yourself up for wanting to be with Kevin." Anthony says. "I still feel guilty." I say. "This is not on you!" May says. "Let's just agree that we have all been shitty friends lately and move on." I say. "That sounds good." Anthony says. "But we are still best friends nonetheless." May says. "Agreed." I say. "Best friends for life." We each say at our own timing. I close the group chat and get out of bed where I have been laying this whole conversation. I get dressed and leave the house. I text Kevin on the way out the door.

On the way to school the four of us are in Kevin's car. May and Anthony in the back seat and me and Kevin in the front. "It isn't to cramped back there?" Kevin asks. "No. Just not used to sitting in the back seat." Anthony says, being the usual driver for us. "Why couldn't I have sat in the front seat at least?" He asks. "The front seat is reserved for the car owner and his boyfriend." I say gesturing to Kevin and myself. Anthony groans and curses under his breath. May elbows him. "Ow!" He yelps. "You elbow hard!" He cries. Kevin, May, and I start to laugh. "Sorry." May says, still laughing. "I am gonna get you one of these days." Anthony vows. We laugh again. This time Anthony joins in.

We get to school early, which is a first. "Ok. Kevin and I are gonna hit our lockers really quick." I say.

Before I know it, two weeks have passed. "I will see you later." I say to Kevin as I head to my first hour class. Nothing can go wrong today. Nothing until I get to first period and see her.