Chapter 10

An hour later, when Matt & Gabby are alone:
Matt's POV: As I finish locking up the apartment once everybody else has left, I came into the bedroom to see Gabby working on unpacking her suitcase. I am not sure whether she is ready to talk about this but...I want to know what happened between her and Sylvie. I need to know so that I know what I can and can't talk about with her. That, and I am her husband. She needs to know that I am on her side. Also, I want to hear the story as her husband, not as her captain at the time. Going to grab one of her bags, I smiled at her. "Hey, think we can talk?"

Gabby turned around to look at me while hanging some of her shirts up. "Always, what about?" I sighed when she asked me that. "Gabby, I don't want to pressure you to talk to me about this but...I want to know what happened between you and Sylvie." Gabby turned to look at me when I said that, nodding. "And, I want to hear it as your husband. Don't give me the report stuff. The stuff you would tell me as if you were filing a complaint with your captain. Tell me the story as your husband. That is the story I deserve since I am on your side when it comes to this."

Gabby agreed with me when I said that. "So, this was right after that fight we had about the whole adoption stuff." I agreed with her when she said that, going to grab some of her shirts and taking them out. "We were on a call and I gave her an order." I nodded and agreed with her. "She was spacing out and...after I gave her an order, it took her a minute to respond." I nodded when she said that. "Of course, I was not please with that...and I told her that. I told her she needs to smarten up." I agreed with her. "And when I said that, she threw the ambo bag at me." 

Turning around, I just looked at Gabby after hanging up another one of her shirts. "She did what now?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Yeah." I just went to walk over to her. "Who knows about this?" Gabby shook her head. "Just you, me and her. I haven't told anybody." I sighed when Gabby said that before going to wrap my arms around her. "When did this happen?" Gabby sighed when I asked her that. "Like I said, right after the adoption fight." I nodded and just gave her a hug. "I'm so sorry Gabby. You don't deserve to be treated that way."

Gabby agreed with me when I said that. "The thing I hate the most...it's what pushed me over the edge. This stupid fight I had with Sylvie almost cost us everything." I agreed with her when she said that. Going to hold her close to me, I went to kiss her temple and just sighed. "Gabby, I am so sorry that happened. Promise me that you come to me if something like that ever happens. I don't care if we are in a fight. Gabby, I am your husband...and I am the Captain at 51. What she did is unacceptable. And I would have gladly yelled at her for you." Gabby nodded.

I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she said that. Going to grab the back of her head, I smiled at her before going to kiss her softly. "I am here for you this time okay? I promise." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that and just smiled at me. Going to wrap my arms around her tight, I was glad to be alone with her right now. I have missed her and I just want to do this for the rest of the day. "We still going to Molly's later?" Gabby laughed and agreed with me. "Yes please. But not yet. We haven't even been together for 8 hours yet." I agreed.

Going to grab some more of her clothes, I went to hang them up and smiled because I was so glad that she was home. "Then what do you want to do instead?" Gabby smiled when I asked her that. "I am not sure. However, I know that we are not having a baby until we are okay." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "Yeah, we need to talk about us don't we?" Gabby smiled when I said that. "I want to fix us first. Remember, we said next year." I smiled and nodded. "Here, then how about I help you unpack and we can talk?" I agreed with her.

"You want to talk in here or do you want to sit out in the living room?" Gabby shook her head. "I want to talk in here. It's comfortable. However, you stay dressed." I agreed with her when she said that. "I promise, we will work stuff out. I want to revisit some of the stuff I already mentioned and we need to talk a lot more okay? And we need to agree that we need to be honest with each other babe. Like all that stuff we talked about with Stella and Severide as well as your brother, we need to go into detail with that stuff before we try for a baby." Gabby agreed.

"Do you want to go see the chaplain to help us? Or a therapist?" I bit my lip when she asked me that. "Maybe in the future. I am not sure. I want to try and do it together first. If we get stuck, then maybe we can okay?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "You want to do it just me and you as much as possible." I sighed when Gabby said that before going to sit on the edge of the bed. "Gabby, I'm not proud of how bad things got. The truth is that nobody really knows about how bad things got between the two of us. Not even Severide knows about that."

Gabby looked at me when I said that and nodded. "You're ashamed aren't you babe?" I nodded and agreed with her. "Gabby, I don't want a marriage like what my parents had. My father was abusive to my mom. I'm not type of guy. At least I hope I'm not that type of man." Gabby shook her head when I said that. "Hey, look at me." Gabby then came to walk over to me. Wrapping my arms around her when she got close to me, I smiled as I looked up into her eyes. "Matt, you are nothing like your father. You are much better than him. I promise okay?" I agreed with her.

"Listen, let's put our baby on the backburner okay? Next year. Next year, I am going to make you a dad. How does that sound?" I smiled and agreed with her when she said that. "That sounds like the perfect time to have a baby." Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I said that. "My thoughts exactly. I mean it okay? I am here for you and I hope you know that I want us to work more than anything in the entire world." I nodded and smiled when Gabby said that. "I know Gabby, I know." Going to kiss her, I smiled as we just took a minute together.

"Do we need to go over the Sylvie stuff again when we are talking in bed or are we good?" I smiled when she asked me that. "I think we are good. I guess the first thing we need to talk about is some new rules I want to set up for our marriage." Gabby looked at me when I said that. "New rules?" I took a breath and sighed. "Can you just give me the benefit of a doubt Gabby? I want to talk about this and I promise that you will understand why I want to set up these rules." Gabby then took a breath and nodded. "Okay, I trust you babe." I smiled when she said that.

"Good, now let's get you unpacked. Then, we can sit down in bed and just relax." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that, obviously ready to just relax together for a while.