𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 ▸𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒈𝒈𝒚 (+𝒃𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒚𝒏𝒂𝒕)

"How come you and Steve haven't gone dancing as you promised all those years ago?" Natasha frowned as she and Peggy walked out of the cafe, each holding a warm drink. "Or is dancing some kind of acronym for something else?" she winked at her in a conspiratorial way, and Peggy gave her an incredulous look.

"No, it's not an acronym, it's just a dance," she assured her tepidly, sipping her coffee. "You know, compared to seventy years, a few more months is just a blink. Plus, it's been pretty hectic lately for me and especially for him."

Natasha rolled her eyes. "God, you're making a fuss about it. Can't you just go somewhere and dance? You are so in love, and even though everyone knows it a hundred miles away, you're not able to pull yourself together at last. What's stopping you? Hydra's gone, you can both relax. And gather strength for your dance."

Peggy put her hand in her pockets and looked around, a little glumly, at the crowded streets and windows crowded with Christmas decorations. She thought she'd get used to this new world by the time she was back, but that hasn't quite happened yet. She was still groping and feeling lost, but when she became friends with Natasha, things started to get a little easier for her. Having Steve and Bucky back made her feel a little better because she knew she'd finally have someone who really understood her. With whom she could reminisce about old times . . .

"You know, maybe that's kind of the problem," she began slowly after a moment, and Natasha turned her head to let her know she was listening. "The world is different than Steve and I knew it. And we still haven't adapted much to that change."

'And that's why you're postponing your dance,' Natasha said, slowly starting to put a plan together in her mind. But she knew she couldn't do it alone. "Do you know what you're giving Steve for Christmas yet?" she then changed the subject.

"I have no idea. I'm really horrible at this," Peggy sighed, looking at her best friend.
Natasha raised her hand. "Well, don't look at me, I may be even worse at this than you are," she said. "But we can stop somewhere along the way, and maybe we can come across something Steve would appreciate. Wait, didn't you say he likes to draw? How about getting him some of this circuit?"

"Not a bad idea," Peggy said with a satisfied smile, then put on a curious expression. "Well, what about you and your personal life?" Natasha raised an eyebrow at her. "How about you and Bucky, huh? Come on, don't tell me you haven't noticed the way he looks at you!'

"Huh, well, you don't want to get in the same river twice," Natasha said vaguely.

"What do you mean?" said Peggy.

"Well, Barnes and I have a history. When I joined the Black Widow program, he was the one who trained me," she confided a little reluctantly. "You could say there was a spark between us. One thing led to another, and, well, it didn't end well. It was just a fling."
Peggy looked uncanny. "I'd say it was more than a fling for him."

Natasha grinned mirthlessly. "I don't know. I'd be surprised if he remembers. I doubt Hydra wouldn't take care of it." She shook her head slowly, then pointed to a small store a few steps ahead. "Luck favors us. Art supplies. This is where Steve would be in paradise. I'll wait here, okay?" she suggested as casually as possible as they reached the shop. Peggy nodded, and as soon as the door closed behind her, Natasha had her phone in her hand and was dialing.

"Huh?" a sleepy voice said a few seconds later.

Natasha rolled her eyes. "Huh, really? Are you telling me you're still asleep?"

"Cut it out, Romanoff," he muttered.

"I'm going to need a hand, Barnes."

"Which one, exactly? The plain one, or that great present from Hydra?" he asked sarcastically.