you and i

nothing more than a dog, following you around for a year.

i wanted to be like you. strong, and not afraid to say what i thought. i admired you. so i thought i loved you.

as months went on i grew feelings for you, reaching out to touch your skin and hold you in my arms. telling you how much i cared for you. but you always wiggled out of my arms, searching for other girls to give you what i gave you.

but when they went away you'd come back, crawling into my arms and saying you loved me. that you had a soft spot for me and would always care for me.

but why did that stop?

why're you holding her hand?

why did you change the locks on your door and give her the key?

showing me proof of your love for her and laughing when you saw tears well up in my eyes. you knew it was over and you wanted to hurt me. hurt me for all of the times i had bothered you for looking at other girls. but now i lost my place. i am nothing to you as you are nothing to me.

i ran back and cried to the older man who once cared for me when i was a child, asking him for comfort in which he halfheartedly complied to. i can only hold myself now, as everyone i ever cared for has left. even you, my dear toxic lover. except you never loved anyone but yourself. you couldn't bring yourself to care for me, so i had to bring myself to end it. locking the doors only to hear you come knocking again with that orange cat in your arms. a peace offering that i would no longer accept.

you and i are nothing but strangers with memories.