The Incident.

A sickening clunk sounded as his arm hit the flat stone.

After watching the previous ordeal, Kakashi already knew what it was. But, just in case, he jumped down to confirm. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't true.

But, as he came upon the duo, his fear was confirmed.

Naruto lay flat on the stone, slashes across his chest and blood leaking from his mouth. Sakura was leaning over him, her eyes wide with disbelief. Kakashi could no longer watch. He turned his head.

How could this happen?

What was I thinking?

Why didn't I help?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

He was throwing a temper-tantrum. In his head. All Kakashi could think of was how he failed his student and friend. He had left his comrade. He was now scum.

The fatal blow was administered within a second.

Naruto and Sasuke had started their battle at dawn. They fought through the morning. Through the afternoon. And now, it was evening.

Kakashi thought multiple times if he should step in, and he decided against it each time. Naruto had requested specifically for him not to interfere. So he should respect that wish. But, he would've never guessed that it would cost him another friend.

The battle drew to a close as both shinobi ran at each other, yelling the other's name.

Sasuke had drawn his blade. It was covered with Chidori. Naruto, on the other hand, held his infamous Rasengan. But as Naruto reached for Sasuke, he had exposed his chest. And with three swift slashes, it was over.

Naruto's eyes were wide, pain and disbelief plastered his face. But then he smiled and fell to the ground. Sasuke looked back at him, and without a word, disappeared.

Sakura screamed. A painful scream. She had rushed to Naruto's side and frantically attempted to heal him.

The disgusting smell of burnt flesh, one Kakashi knew all too well, drifted from his wounds.

"Sakura-chan..."

"Naruto?" Replied Sakura, her voice shaky.

"Bring Sasuke back for me... and protect Konoha. Promise that you will, Sakura."

"Shut up. You'll be fine. Just shut up so I can heal you."

"Sakura... Please."

"Fine! I promise." She wailed.

Naruto smiled once again, and his arm, that had cuffed Sakura's cheek, fell to the ground.

Only now did it register to Kakashi what had happened. He jumped down to confirm his fears.

He found Sakura leaning over Naruto, tears running down her face.

"Shannaro..." She sobbed.

Not again.

Why does everybody I love die?

This is what played over in Kakashi's head. Every hour of every day since the incident.