Tap out (A+A)

Apollo

"Ari, what did you just put in your mouth, princess?"

Arielle points at my dad, before scrunching her face.

She squishes her eyes closed before bursting to tears and dropping the candy that's in her mouth.

I hear dad let out a laugh, I watch his face get red and tears come out of his eyes as I pick my daughter up.

"Papa, did you give her a sour candy?" I question

"Yeah. Best choice ever." He gasps for air

I rub Ari's back and roll my eyes. "If she's afraid of you before she turns three, you'll know why."

"Oh... Ellie could never be afraid of her grandpa." Dad comes around the island and takes Ari from my arms. "Because she knows grandpa will buy her whatever." He kisses her cheek.

"Papa" the two year old cries, I take her from my dad and she snuggles against my chest.

"I think the best thing about being a father is seeing your children come to you when they need to feel safe." Dad comments "tells me I'm doing something right."

"Did you always think you did something wrong?" I asks sitting back down on the island stool. Dad stands across from me, thinking.

"All the time." He nods his head.

"You didnt and don't need to." I tell him

"I'll always think it. I need to try my best." He says before leaving when mom calls him

I look down at Arielle and lift her up. She smiles down at me, sleep evident in her eyes.

"Ready to join mama and MJ? I think the princess is sleepy." I say standing up.

I figured out this trick that gets the twins to fall asleep quickly. I sit her on the opposite side of my elbow. The palm of my hand on her chest, her legs and arms dangling.

I start walking through my parents mansion and go upstairs. I can feel her body becoming relaxed and limp, meaning she's falling asleep.

I walk into my bedroom and see Alani and MJ asleep.

I place Arielle down, next to MJ. On the side Alani's not sleeping on, there's a pillow barricade that prevents the twins from rolling off.

As I step away Arielle starts to wake. Her face scrunched, prepared to cry. I quickly lift her up, shushing her sniffles.

"Papa's got you."

I leave then room and walk around holding Ari.

Now I understand why dad loves being... dad.

The feeling knowing that my daughter trusts and finds safety in me makes me smile and feel proud.

I head back downstairs to the living room. Arielle's now sound asleep on my shoulder.

I sit down on the couch beside Maya, who's eating goldfish and watch a movie.

"Apple." she holds up a goldfish and I take it.

"Apple" is the nickname she gave me when she was Arielle's age.

"Princess and The Frog" Plays on the TV

I sit and watch with Maya and soon she falls asleep against my arm.

Seems like the whole house is taking a nap.

I close my eyes and soon it's my turn to nap.

______________

"papa"