season 1 episode 7

DISCLAIMER: All characters and locations in this story belong to Julian Fellowes except from my OC Florence Crawley. This story has been created for entertainment purposes only

It was five weeks after the wedding. Matthew and Florence were getting ready for the move back to Downton Abbey in two weeks. It would be the during the first week of July that the family would be returning from the season. Florence was slightly sad about missing Sybil's first season but everybody could understand why she did. Matthew could not get such a long-time off work and Florence could not turn up alone only a few weeks after getting married. It would not look good on their marriage or on them as individuals.

However, when the time came for the family to leave for the Season, Florence was rather thankful to be staying behind. Four weeks after the wedding she started feeling unwell. It was nothing serious until a week later when she started throwing up in the mornings. Concerned, Matthew insisted she went to visit Dr Clarkson.

Florence visited the clinic two days later, when Isobel wasn't volunteering at the hospital. Dr Clarkson did a quick examination and quickly realised exactly what was causing her ailment.

"You, my dear, are pregnant" Dr Clarkson said, with a large smile.

Florence was overjoyed. Her heart felt like it was beating out of her chest in excitement. A baby. Her and Matthew's baby.

Florence stopped at Downton Abbey briefly to pick up a gift for Matthew before returning home before Matthew. She was back in the house in time to greet him as he returned from work but she wanted to wait until they were alone to approach the topic.

"How was your vis–" Matthew had begun to ask but quickly cut off when he spotted that Florence was shaking her head. He quickly changed his question. "How was your day?"

Matthew waited, somewhat impatiently, for Isobel to retired to bed before returning to his question. Matthew and Florence were both sat on the couch in the living room. Both had a book in hand, which they had been reading while waiting for Isobel to retire, but both books were quickly cast aside.

"How did your appointment with Dr Clarkson go?" Matthew asked.

"Good." Florence replied simply before saying, "I have something for you."

Florence quickly stood and moved to a drawer and fetched out her gift for Matthew. She had wrapped it while waiting for his return from work. She returned to the couch and handed it to him. Matthew took it with a look of confusion.

"Have I missed some sort of celebration?" Matthew asked as he began to open the gift.

Florence shook her head with smile. "Just open it."

Matthew opened it and pulled out a baby dress. To be more specific, it was Florence's old baby dress. Matthew starred at the baby dress for a long time, trying to figure out why she had gifted him a baby dress until it all clicked in his head and his head shot up to look at hers in shock.

"Are you trying to tell me that you are..." Matthew began his voice fading at the end unable to speak the rest of his sentence.

Florence grinned and nodded.

Matthew jumped up from the couch in excitement bringing Florence up with him. He pulled her into him in an excited kiss. He looked down to her happily, placing a hand over her stomach.

"A baby? Our baby?" Matthew asked in happiness.

"Our baby" Florence replied in confirmation. "Dr Clarkson believed we conceived on our wedding night. He wants me to keep checking in with him as the pregnancy progresses."