Book One, Chapter Four 1.4

Riding at night on a long, dark country road that had a lot of gravel. Not fun. The wind slammed against the car, rain lashed in the wind. I had no idea how my mom could see anything while flooring it.

Every flash of lightning I couldn't help but stare at Dean and his shag carpet legs. Is this another prank? The smell gave away that this was not in fact a prank. The smell of wet barnyard animals. I never liked those field trips to the zoo.

Percy broke the silence. "So, you and my mom... know each other?"

I looked over at Grover who kept looking at the rearview mirror, though nothing seemed to be following us. "Not exactly." He said.

"I mean, we've never met in person. But she knew we were watching you. Both of you." Dean explained. If you could even call that an explanation.

"Watching us?" I questioned.

Dean continued, "Keeping tabs on you."

"Making sure you were okay. But I wasn't faking being your friend, I am your friend." Grover added.

I looked over at Dean.

"Molly, of course I'm your friend. I don't care who you are, you can't fake the kind of good person you are."

I kinda wanted to shove him, but not only were we in some sort of danger, it's my kind of mentality and something I would say.

Percy swallowed, "So... what are you guys exactly?"

"That doesn't matter right now." Grover said.

"It doesn't matter? From the waist down, my best friend is a donkey-"

Grover let out a sharp, throaty "Blaa-ha-ha! Goat!" He cried.

"What?" Percy said.

"We're goats from the waist down. We're satyrs." Grover clarified.

"You just said it didn't matter." I noted.

Dean gave his own irritated bleat, "If we weren't in immediate danger, I'd trample you right now for such an insult!"

I couldn't form a sentence. "Since when- you have-"

"That's just an act. Draw attention away. Keep a low profile."

"Whoa." Percy started. "Wait. Satyrs. You mean like... Mr. Brunner's myths?"

"Were those old ladies at the fruit stand a myth, Percy? Was Mrs. Dodds a myth?" Grover asked.

"So you admit there was a Mrs. Dodds!"

"Of course." Grover answered.

I looked over at Dean.

"Yes Molly, Ms. Bailey was real too."

"Then why-" I was cut off.

"The less you knew, the fewer monsters you'd attract." Dean said like this was common knowledge.

"We put Mist over the humans' eyes." Grover stated. "We hoped you'd think the Kindly Ones was a hallucination. But it was no good. You started to realize who you are."

"Disadvantaged kids, raised with a single mom with an abusive stepdad?" I stated.

"Who I- wait a minute, what do you mean?" Percy asked.

A weird noise came up again from behind, much closer than before. I was not thrilled to meet what was chasing us.

"There's too much to explain and not enough time." My mom said. "We have to get you to safety."