Chapter 7

Now that JJ left me I turn around to go and refill my drink. I run into a hard chest. One in which I am unfortunately far too aware of. I can tell who this chest belongs to based on the cologne he is wearing and the way his hand grabs firmly onto my arm to keep me from falling.

I look up and meet Rafe's amused eyes.

"Whoa. Watch where you're going Claire." He says, finally releasing my elbow and giving me a charming smile. "Wouldn't want you spilling your drink on anyone else."

I feel my cheeks heat up after he says that. I can't help but feel a little embarrassed that he saw me do something so clumsy.

"Yeah." I reply, laughing lightly. I don't want him to know I'm embarrassed. He would totally take it the wrong way if he found out I was embarrassed about him seeing that.

"Sooo." He says, looking around the party before bringing his gaze back to me. "How are you liking the party so far?"

"It's nice." I tell him, unsure of how I am supposed to reply. It gets more and more awkward every time I talk to him.

We sit in silence for a couple seconds before he finally speaks up again.

"We obviously got off on the wrong foot." He says, taking a drink of whatever is in his cup. "Let's see a movie tomorrow night. Let's start over and get to know each other."

I narrow my eyes at him. There's no way this offer is genuine and he actually want to restart. He just wants my body. I promised myself I would stay away from him and I mean it.

"I don't think that's a good idea-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"Please." He pleads. "I know what your opinion of me is and you have every right to feel that way, but just hang out with me and you'll see I'm not always like that."

There he is again, being too nice. One second he's helping learn to golf, then making out with random girls out of jealously, then bringing me my stuff I leave at a party, then trying to tell me I'm not allowed to see any guys until he sleeps with me, and now this. It's too back and forth with him. But the pleading look in his eye makes it impossible to tell him no. I don't know why I can't deny him. He has been nothing but a problem in my life.

"Fine." I groan, massaging my forehead with my fingers. Talking to him gives me a headache. "But," I add when I see him getting a little too excited, "this is not a date. We are simply hanging out."

He nods quickly and a huge smile covers his whole face.

"Great. We will have so much fun. You'll see I can actually be a decent guy." His brows furrow on that last part and it almost looks as if he's not only trying to convince me, but also himself.

"Okay. We will see about that." I reply, already getting tired of this conversation. I'm so stupid. Why can't I just say no to him. I can already tell I'm going to be regretting this by tomorrow. I need to get away from him before I do anything else stupid. Whenever he's around me it's like my judgement clouds over and I can't think straight.

He looks down at me awkwardly, waiting to see if I have anything more to tell him. I just look back up at him and keep my mouth shut before I say anything else I'll regret.

"Okay then," he finally says, breaking the awkward silence, " I will pick you up at seven tomorrow night."

"Okay. Sounds good." I reply, feeling really uncomfortable with this ordinary conversation I'm having with Rafe Cameron. "I'm going to go and refill my drink because, well, you know. I ran into that boy JJ earlier and it spilled all over his shirt."

Rafe laughs and takes another sip from his cup. "Speaking of that Jason kid," he says after he swallows his drink, "what are your thoughts on him?"

That's an odd question. "First of all, his name's JJ. I literally just said it five seconds ago. Second of all, I think he's nice and he seems fun. I kind of want to get to know him and maybe be friends with him." I tell him honestly, unsure if that's the answer he was looking for.

His jaw clenches. That was not the answer he was looking for. He takes a deep breath. "You should stay away from that boy. He's a pogue and he's always getting into trouble."

Well he's one to talk. "He seems nice," I say, trying to defend the boy I had only just met, "and I could use a little trouble in my life." I smirk at the last part, which brings Rafe's gaze down to my lips. He stares at my lips for awhile, even long after I had stopped smirking.

"Well if it's trouble you want, you should have told me sooner." He says and leans in placing his hands on my hips. His lips brush lightly against my ears as he whispers, "Because I'm going to be nothing but trouble for you."

Butterflies erupt in my stomach from not just the feeling of his hands on me, but the words that came out of his mouth. I should be worrying about what he means by that, but instead I find myself reveling in the burning sensation his fingers leave on me as they trail against my skin and the way my heart feels at my name being whispered into my ear.

Before I have time to answer him, he's gone and walking away. I have myself wishing he was still in front of me his hands on my waist, flush against each other with his mouth at my ear. I also have myself wishing I had asked him what he meant because now I'm even more worried about tomorrow. What happened to that promise I made to Topper not even a week ago? He's literally admitted to me before that he just wants me for my body and yet the second he tells me  he will change I believe him and even agree to hang out with him.

What is Rafe Cameron doing to me.