Chapter 10

The next week goes by in a blur. I spend most of my time in bed watching my favorite tv shows and reading... And thinking about Rafe. Topper tried inviting me to some parties but I just wasn't interested. I'm trying to stay away from Rafe and I know for a fact he would be there.

I'm sitting in my bed watching Stranger Things with a tub if ice cream on my lap when I get a call from Topper. He's at a party right now and I know for a fact he's either drunk or high right now. I don't want to answer but a feeling in my stomach makes me pick up the phone.

"Topper?" I ask hesitantly, waiting for him to start mumbling stupid words into the phone that make no sense. He's done that twice in the last week.

"Claire, you need to come to this party right now." Topper says. Surprisingly he sounds pretty sober and that worries me.

"Why? What's wrong?" I ask, scared to hear the answer.

"It's Rafe. Apparently something went down between him and his dad before he came here and he started drinking and breaking everything." He says, his voice tight. I can tell he's anxious.

"Okay, but why me? I don't think I can do anything." I tell him.

"He's asking for you." Topper says. I feel my stomach flip when he says those words. Rafe wants to see me?

"Why?" I ask. "That makes no sense."

"I don't know why. He just locked himself in a room and refuses to leave until you come." Topper tells me.

Rafe is drunk and obviously not thinking straight. We agreed to stay away from each other and he meant it. I know he did.

"I'll be there soon." I sigh, hanging up the phone.

I don't even bother changing out of my sweats and tank top. I don't plan on being there for long. I grab my keys and head out, driving to to the house the party's at.

I get out of my car and walk in, immediately regretting coming. The place is packed. I maneuver my way through the bodies and go up the stairs. I see Topper leaning against one of the doors. When he sees me his eyes widen and he grabs me.

"She's here Rafe. Open up the door." Topper says, knocking on the door.

There's just silence so I say something to hopefully get him to let me in.

"Rafe? What do you need from me?" I ask, tapping my knuckles lightly on the door. Not long after, the door opens and a hand grabs my arm, yanking me in before shutting the door quickly afterwards and locking it.

Rafe walks away from me and stands on the opposite side of the room looking out the window.

"Rafe what's wrong? Why did you need me?" I ask him. He slowly turns around and looks at me. His eyes are bloodshot and I can tell he's drunk and has been crying.

"I can't do anything right." He tells me, his voice barely above a whisper. "I can't impress my dad and I always do what I shouldn't. I can't pull my life together and I don't know where to start. And worst of all, I can't seem to know how to treat you right. I want to do the right thing and let you go and not speak to you again. I'm not a good guy Claire. But I just can't seem to keep myself away from you."

My heart leaps into my throat when he says that.

"What do you mean?" I ask him, swallowing nervously. The way he is looking at me right now is making me feel so many different emotions.

"I know I'm not a good guy. I know I treat people badly. I know I'm a mess. I know I don't deserve you. But I want you. I want you so badly. You have been the only thing on my mind. That night you left, I kicked that girl out of my house because I couldn't bear the thought of doing anything with her. I've never tried to change my lifestyle for someone, but for you, I will try. I will try so hard. Just give me a chance Claire. Just one, and you won't regret it." A tear escapes his eye as he finishes his last sentence.