chapter two

CHAPTER TWOMUST SURVIVE(happy progress day - epi iv)

CHAPTER TWO
MUST SURVIVE
(happy progress day - epi iv)

Winnie was sitting by Mrs. Kiramman in the living room of Kiramman Clans' home. They were chatting lightly, mostly about the temporary leave the young council member put in this morning. She cited it as an 'independent work project', and would be traveling to Zaun. The older woman could only imagine how much was going on in the undercity for the councilwoman to travel there like this.

"You know. . . We may not always see eye-to-eye, Councilor Datchery, but I do admire the work you do. You've kept the undercity in check for a very long time- years. I don't think anyone's admiration would waver if anything were to change down there."

Winnie sighed quietly. She appreciated Cassandra's words greatly, truly, but she had no clue what Winnie was actually doing down there.

"Your words mean much to me, Councilor Kiramman, but Zaun it- It's more than what's become of it. It was once my mother's home, and I know in her heart, it still is. I would like to give my mother back her home, and everyone else there too."

Cassandra knew there was nothing else she could say to change the young woman's mind. Just like she knew Winnie wouldn't be able to change her mind about down there. That place was hell. It was damnation.

The silence was slightly tense, but not unbearable. Winnie was lost in her thoughts-

It was like her mind was set ablaze. The reds and orange of the fire surrounding her stable thoughts made them start burning at the edges. There was chaos written into her bones, it laid beneath the elegance that was written over top of it to hold herself together.

Something was going on in Zaun, and nobody would write back to tell her what, or even who was behind it.

She wished her father was here.

Jayce walked out, shaking his head at the two women. "Councilor Talis, I'm sorry it'll take time before we can work together on building the future— But I hope you do live up to what everyone believes you can be." Winnie's tone was detached, emotionless.

Jayce seemed uncomfortable, the golden boy felt small in front of Zaun's savior. He didn't understand why. He was older than her, had much more experience, not to mention his higher education. Yet, whenever he said something she found a way to correct him or prove that, just maybe, she was smarter than him. The worst part was she didn't even notice herself doing it. Jayce Talis knew that he and Winnie Datchery were opposites, yet so painfully alike.

They could expand the future of the world together in unimaginable ways.

"With all due respect, Councilor, you were the only last night who didn't vote for me to join the Council. I don't understand why."