Lair of the Dark Elf - Part 2: Sparrow nests

Flames danced among the mahogany, mirroring prancing shadows encircling the ring of fire. Cheers rose with melodic singing as Berki, Yera, Kitana and Dave danced around the ceremonial bonfire, lifting and swaying Squirrel bones with each sprightly step. The sound of ankle bells and whistling steel-lutes travelled through the air to the tallest Bull Thistle as smoke blew in plumes above their heads.

People were talking about the day's work – who had slain what, whose acorns, flax and millet were heaviest, and how bountiful the supplies would be for the next few months to Winter and beyond. Their voices, however, drifted like passing log-water behind Anita's ears. 

The squirrel flesh in her hands had grown cold, and she no longer felt the texture of their bone. The taste of its marrow was numb to her. Looking around, the ritual felt so familiar, yet so surreal at the same time. A pair of eyes stared into her direction. It looked down at her meat, and frowned. Understanding what the Chief meant, she brought the flesh hurriedly to her lips, and tried to nibble. 

The smell brought back the memory of the creature's hollow eyes, and she held down a sudden gag. She couldn't do it. It just wasn't possible. The Chief finally nodded with a grunt. As he turned to the beckons of the Monarch, Anita made sure no one looked her way before stuffing the bone and flesh into a small bag by her waist. Clearing her throat, she sought some water from Nina, who had sat down beside her with a clay jug.

"Anita, how are you feeling? I heard there was an accident – that must have been awful!" Nina asked with wide eyes, the concern emanating from them in wet glimmers from the firelight.

"Oh, it was scary, yes. But I didn't get hurt that badly in the end – " Just as she was about to finish, a prick sent nerves tingling down the tip of her tongue. Thank goodness it had happened, for she was about to complete her sentence with the words, Cullen had saved me.

"Is your wound alright, dear? " Nina asked, placing a hand on her knee. It radiated, deflecting shards of yellow and orange from the fire. Its warmth flowed to Anita's heart.

Nina was one of the kinder pixies in her band. Anita had always felt more comfortable with her. They had known each other since young, and would play together often before their coming-of-age rites. Following their 10th years, however, Nina's rank rose higher as her skills were better than Anita at all respects, from gathering, to embroidery, and to scavenging. With this, they grew apart, being able to spend less and less time together as different missions were assigned to members depending on their ranks, of which Anita was far from proud of for herself. Yet, she continued to express concern and care regularly, something very rare among pixies of different ranks. It was something very much to be cherished.

"It's getting better, thank you. I'll be sure to be more careful." Anita felt her cheeks lift in a smile, loosening as if from a grasp. Only then did she realised how tensed they had been throughout the day. "How about you, how are things?" She asked Nina, eyes glancing at her locks of lavender hair, too stunning to miss in the flickering golden glow.

"It was quite alright, my partner and I managed to collect a dozen acorns today, and even had some spare time to race to the top of the oak twigs! The view was so beautiful. I wish you were there with me," a gasp of exclamation escaped her cherry lips at the thought of the memory. She was sparkling.

A tightness stung Anita's chest as she listened to the memories, reminded of the meagre supply of ten millets and one lone acorn from the day's toil. Thoughts harking back to the sack in her tent, it seemed the number would never change, regardless of how many times she recounted its contents. A shadow must have cast her eyes though she tried to smile and be happy for her friend, for Nina's voice softened slowly to an awkward pause, before darting back to her silent friend. "How about you, Anita? What else did you manage to find today in the Crimson Moon Oaks?"