10. First Game

so why you still here?
don't you got somewhere to be?

»»----- ★ -----««

About ten days have passed since the day of the tour, I only got to see Jack again when he started training. Is it damn bad luck that City's CT is right next to the Etihad? I mean, you only have to cross a bridge to get from one place to another. Quite different from Villa, which takes a minimum of twenty minutes by car to get from one corner to another.

But it's not as if he has seen me, not that I am hiding, I just decided to focus on my work. Hannah told me that one day last week, he came by the store looking for me. I really don't know what he saw in me, he could go after those runway models, but he wants something from me, the stadium guide who spends all day going back and forth and barely has time to comb her hair.

Today is Friday, City had their Premier League home debut against Norwich. If in the first game we lost to Tottenham 1-0 in London, this second game was more than good, a 5-0 thrashing of the visiting team. As there is almost no tour booked on match day, I was in charge of the bar in one of the boxes. The game has already finished some time ago, I'm just cleaning up and organizing things before going to help in the store.

I am wiping down the counter full of beer when I look up to see none other than Jack coming towards me. He is wearing his City sweatshirt kit and a backwards cap, and he has a grin from ear to ear on his face. Of course, he is happy, he scored one of the goals, his first goal for City.

All the fans who occupied the stands and the box have left, at the Etihad there should only be a few employees left.

"Hey, Joey." He sits on one of the stools facing the area I am cleaning.

"What are you still doing here? Hasn't your game been over for more than an hour?" I put my hand on my waist holding the tea towel, really curious. Most players do this as soon as possible, after a heavy week of training, all they want to do after the game is get some rest.

"I just came to get a cup of coffee, can you pour me one?" I raise an eyebrow at him, about to question when another person sits four stools away from Jack.

"Hi Joey, an espresso for me please." I look at him and realize it is Matt, he is one of the guys who work in the PR department. He props his elbows on the counter, Jack is also looking at him, and I decide to make Matt's espresso first. Something tells me that even if I give Jack his coffee, he won't be leaving here anytime soon.

I turn my back to mess with the machine and pour Matt's coffee, he thanks me and goes on his way, leaving Jack and I alone again.

"He was looking at your butt." Jack comments when he sees that Matt is gone, his comment has a hint of humor and another of annoyance, I wish I were surprised, but I am not.

"Jealous?" I ask, grabbing another cup to make his coffee.

"Well, I was looking too." He admits, I see his gaze go down my legs, I am wearing pants, but I guess that doesn't matter much to him.

"By the way, congratulations on the goal."

"Did you see it?" His eyes light up like fireflies on a dark street, and I nod my head in confirmation as I open the pot of coffee to put in the machine. "Things were rushed here, but I could see it." I smile, and finish Jack's coffee. "So, will you tell me what you are doing here? Because this coffee thing..."