15. Invite

and nothing's gon' change
don't get your hopes up about me

»»----- ★ -----««

I love my job at Etihad, but I love dancing more. Art is the love in my life. Spinning in a room full of mirrors with the sound loud is my moment of peace.

Today I went to the gym after I left the stadium and gave a class to a group of teenagers. We danced to Latin songs and practiced steps from rehearsed choreographies. When my body was soaked with sweat, the class was over, and I decided to rest and open the computer before taking a shower.

Billie told me earlier that Dua Lipa would be opening up applications today for auditions for dancers for her upcoming world tour. And I'm not an idiot, of course I'm going to sign up. These tests are always very difficult and usually take an eternity to complete and get the results, but in this career you don't get anywhere if you are not determined.

I am filling in my details on the website when my cell phone rings. I need to finish this and take a shower. Today is Tuesday, it is almost evening and on Tuesdays I like to wear sweatshirts, thick socks and watch reality TV while eating noodles. Classes usually end earlier, so I get home quietly and don't take the subway during rush hour.

I look at the screen and see Jack's name. I answer it quickly, propping the phone between my shoulder and my cheek as I continue typing.

"Hello, Grealish."

"Where is this dance studio? Can I pick you up? We can go to my place." Your questions are direct and quick.

It's been a couple of weeks since Jack and I have seen each other, not the way we wanted to. Our commitments kept us busy, and we never seemed to get time off at the same time. When I told him today that I was leaving the Etihad early, he was excited because his training would only be part-time, but I had to cut him off when I told him I was teaching a dance class today.

I can't judge him for his desperation for sex, I'm almost climbing the walls myself, but it's not as if he can't have sex with other people. I never told Jack that we were exclusive, although sometimes he acts like we were.

"Your house?" I ask curiously. We've been at this for almost two months, and I've never stepped foot in his house, nor have I let Jack step foot in my humble, messy apartment.

"Yes, my house. You know, Joey, it's exhausting. I don't have enough time to look at you the way I want to, I like foreplay. Not to mention you're very tense, I don't think you enjoy it as much as you should."

I like that he is direct, Jack wants to take me to his place to have sex, I couldn't be more pleased than that. But I'm quieter than I should be thinking about it. How serious is it to start going to his house?

"So, what do you think? You must be thinking too much."

"I'm wondering if this breaks any of our rules."

"Oh, sure, the rules." Jack sneers. I know that for him, the rules I set down aren't that important, but I think he still respects them.

"Okay, that's fine, but I'm not sleeping there." Warning.

Jack starts to laugh.

"I doubt you won't want to stay the night."

"I'm telling you now not to be disappointed if you are waiting for a spoon. That would be a clear violation of the rules."

"The idea is not really sleeping, baby." I feel the strength of your brummie accent and if I were standing my legs would surely be wobbly. I could sleep peacefully or stay up all night with Jack and his body on top of mine. "You'll change your mind when you're thinking about the sex we're going to have in the morning."

I roll my eyes and swallow hard because I am thinking about it right now. I have to cut this subject off before I decide that I want to be a prisoner on Jack's mattress.

"I need to take a shower and pack my things. Can you come in an hour?"

"I'll be there in an hour."

He confirms and we hang up. I text him the location of the dance academy and finish signing up before heading to the teachers' bathroom. I always leave it to take a shower at home, but I am all sticky with sweat, I can't meet Jack in this state.

I take a shower and change clothes, I always carry an extra change of clothes in my purse for emergencies, which is good, otherwise I would be going to his house in my sweaty gym clothes. My outfit is simple, a pair of jeans and a white top. I wear a jacket over it because of the cold and put on my sneakers. I don't have much to do with my hair other than wear it wet.

An hour later, on the dot, Jack texts me that his car is parked in front of the academy. I tell him not to get out of the car so as not to attract attention, and he doesn't object. This secrecy thing is working between us.

I climb down the steps of the facade and open the passenger door of his car. Jack is also wearing a jacket, a black backwards cap hiding his hair. He is chewing gum and taps his hand on the steering wheel to the rhythm of the Eagles song that is playing on the radio. His perfume mixes with the good smell of the car, and I am in heaven.

Jack approaches me as I close the door, and we are protected by the tinted glass that covers the windows.

"Hey, Jojocat." The kiss he gives me on the cheek takes me by surprise; it feels so good when his beard brushes my cheek. Kissing without having sex is one of my rules, so Jack takes the opportunity to kiss my face anywhere.

"Jack, you know how to be on time." I say buckling my seat belt and Jack turns on the ignition, putting us in motion.

"I was ready to come the moment you said I could."

I don't doubt it, but it still crossed my mind that he was going to be late.

"So, how many miles is your palace?" I joke and Jack laughs. In my head, he lives in the Gucci castle.

"It's not too far from here."

"I hope you have some instant noodles in your fridge, because I'm starving."

"Nah, but there's a dining table set up, full of candles with dishes from the chef I hired." I look at him, startled. What the fuck is this? I don't want a romantic dinner, on the contrary, I want to spend far from it.

"What?" Jack seems to sense my desperation and starts laughing.

"I'm kidding." He brings his hand to my leg and shakes my knee. "But I can provide that if you want."

"Order a pizza, and I'll already be very grateful."

Pizza and a glass of draft beer. Sounds good to me. Casual, but delicious. Jack and I are silent for a while. I stare out the window, watching the road to his house, Jack reverses his gaze between me and the road and I notice that the car is moving very slowly.

"Why are you going so slow?"

"Are you worried about time, Joey?" I look at his large hands gripping the steering wheel and long for the moment when they will be on my body. "I believe we will have enough time to do anything we want."

"I'm coming home at 10pm." I say, he doesn't seem to find the information very relevant.

"And what happens if Cinderella doesn't get back by 10pm?" he starts to laugh, and I give his arm a little slap, but I giggle too.

"Just stipulating a schedule, so I can get better organized."

"You won't see the time go by, Joey, that I guarantee you." He winks at me and I bite my lower lip because I have my doubts that this could be true.