Chapter 8 - The Old Soldier of Khaenri'ah

Just a day after meeting Morax, Gorm is deployed on a solo mission in Mondstadt — and this time, he is to spy on a particular man inside the city walls. He was hesitant to accept the mission at first, as witnessing the deaths of his fellow colleagues in the city took quite a toll on his heart.

However, the particular man he was instructed to spy on piqued Gorm's curiosity enough to accept the mission.

The man's name is 'Dainsleif', an infamous rebel from Khaeneri'ah — he is said to be seen traveling towards Mondstadt in the effort of tracking the Abyss Order's activity.

The Hydro Abyss Mage waits until dark before he heads to Angel's Share. Gorm is told that Dainsleif is most likely there tonight.

------

With a small backpack strapped onto his back and map in hand, he floats across the lake surrounding the city. There are barely any guards so it seems like it is easy for him to sneak in.

Gorm sits behind several wooden barrels for a little break.

He snacks on a sunsettia or two as he checks the map again for the location of Angel's Share. He finds that it is the building diagonally across from him.

Breathe in, breathe out...

Gorm closes his eyes and teleports.

The Hydro Abyss Mage opens his eyes to find himself on the top floor of the tavern, jolting at the sight of several patrons seated at the tables. Gorm scrambles to hide behind some barrels in the corner.

He clutches his chest, heart pounding fast. Did they see him?

He peeks out from the barrel. The patrons were chatting and drinking away — strangely oblivious to Gorm's presence.

Gorm lets out a deep, relieved sigh.

Now, he is to look for Dainsleif on the bottom floor.

He hears the wooden door of the tavern creak open, revealing a tall blonde man dressed in an odd dark blue coat. The bartender didn't appear surprised at all, despite the man's strange attire.

"Ah, you again," the bartender says,

"What will you have today?"

The blonde man takes a seat at the counter. He mutters something inaudible and the bartender responds with a smile.

"It'll be ready in a moment."

Gorm observes the symbols on the blonde man's costume. It was unmistakably Khaenri'ahn attire. Gorm giggles softly as he scribbles down notes in his tiny notepad. He will definitely get a pay raise after this mission.

The Hydro Abyss Mage's ears prick up when another familiar voice rings out from the floor below

Diluc!