Chapter 3 - The Prophecy

The Prophecy   

On a cold, wet night Albus Dumbledore (Headmaster of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry) had agreed to meet a potential applicant for the post of Divination teacher in a room above the bar at the Hog's Head Inn. It was against his inclination to allow the subject of Divination to continue at all. The applicant, however, was the great-great-granddaughter of a very famous, very gifted Seer, and he thought it common politeness to meet her. It wasn't long into the meeting that he was disappointed. It seemed to him that she had not a trace of the gift herself. So he told her, courteously of course, that he did not think she would be suitable for the post, and turned to leave.   

Sybill Trelawney stood there disappointed as she seen Albus Dumbledore get up to leave, she was hoping to secure the opening of Divination teacher but things weren't going as planned and she messed up her interview because she was so nervous, especially with being in the presense of a great wizard like Albus Dumbledore. She was about to argue her case further when suddenly! she began to convulse and her eyes rolled back into her head, Albus rushed back to Sybill to make sure everything was ok, then in a tone that sounded nothing like Sybill's own voice she said:  

 "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approache…born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will power the Dark Lord knows not…and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives…the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies." 

    then as quick as it happened Sybill coughed and was back to normal, "oh my, what happened?" asked Sybill, she never had a clue what happened and was looking up to Albus with worried eyes "oh nothing my dear, you must have fainted from exhaustion, not to worry, everything seems fine now" smiled Albus, although in his mind he was going over what was just said and realising maybe Sybill Trelawney truly was a Seer like her great-great-grandmother. "I have had a change of heart Miss Trelawney, how would you like to take up the post as Divination teacher?" Albus realised it was probably a good idea to keep an eye on Sybill, that way she would be safe in the castle and no one would get to her if someone had found out what was said tonight.   

Unbeknownst to Dumbledore, Severus Snape a known follower of the dark wizard Lord Voldemort was sitting in the corner eavesdropping on the conversation, he was instructed by the dark lord to infultrate the castle and get a teaching position but so far he hasn't been able to secure a spot. He couldn't believe a man like Dumbledore would agree to give that woman who didn't seem to posess any Seer qualities a job over him. What did actually shock him was the so called prophecy she made, he didn't know if it was all an act or if she really was predicting something. Severus never got to hear the whole of the prophecy because he was apprehended by Aberforth Dumbledore, the owner of the pub and was thrown out.  

As soon as Snape was out of the pub he soon regained his senses, and realised what the prophecy could mean. There was only two sets of couples who had defied the dark lord three times and lived to tell the tale, they were James and Lily Potter and Frank and Alice Longbottom. It occured to him that both woman had recently given birth to sons that were born in July, "could this mean that one of those newborn babies could grow up to defeat the dark lord?" said Snape to himself, it actually made him panic to think about it because he knew for certain what the dark lord would do. The only reason it brought such a reaction was because Snape was in love with Lily Potter, had been since they were children and he couldn't bring himself to think of the punishment the dark lord would do to her if he found out about the prophecy and put two and two together and went after her.    "what ever am I going to do? I cant very well lie to the dark lord, he is far too good at using legilimency and I may be the best at occlumency but I cant compete with the dark lord" Snape thought to himself. So he decided it was best to just tell the dark lord the truth, or as close to it as he could bare without bringing any harm to his precious Lily.