The Runaway

“I don't know what's going on with you anymore, Malia! One day you're here, the next you're off doing God knows what!” Kumiko fumed as she reprimanded her youngest daughter.

An hour after Genvieve gave her younger sister a piece of advice, their parents had returned along with the Shrotter's. Their excuse was that they were out looking for the girl.

Nolan looked up from his feet to Malia. She could've sworn she saw a malicious look behind his normally soothing eyes. 

“You don't call! You dont text! You're always out with that- that trailer park trash excuse for a teenage boy!”

“Don’t talk about him like that!” Malia stood from her seat, quick to come to JJ’s defense, “He has been nothing but nice to you, but you continue to point out his flaws!”

“Don’t you dare raise your voice at me, Malia Dae! I am your mother. I am forty-six years old, you are sixteen! Do not talk to me as if I were one of those hooligans!”

Phillip Shrotter smirked as he kept his eyes on his son. This whole thing was amusing to him.

“Why can’t you just listen to me for once! You never take my side on anything!”

“Why can’t you just be a daughter I can love?” Kumiko spoke, her adrenaline high.

Ian's eyes widened at his wife’s words, “Kumiko, enough!”

Genevive gasped while everyone else shared a similar shocked look. Everyone except Phillip.

It was already too late. Kumiko couldn’t take what she said back. It was evident on her face that she hadn’t meant it. No matter how many times Malia may have disappointed her mother, Kumiko could never hate or not love her.

“Malia wait- I-”

The tears that brimmed the youngest Beifong’s face were pure pain.

“No,” she held out her hand, “I think you made your feelings for me pretty clear”

“Come on now, Malia” Phillip grinned, "Your mother made a simple mistake,"

Fed up with his attitude, Malia turned to face the man, rage shown in her face, “do not patronize me, Phillip” her voice was broken and strained.

Without another word, Malia quickly vanished to her room, ignoring her family's calls.

“How could you say that to her? She’s just a kid! A kid who wants nothing more than the approval of her mother!” Genevieve snapped.

“Gen dear I didn’t mean-”

Genevieve shook her head, “no mom, what you said was wrong. I hope you think long and hard about your actions,” with that being said, she followed her sister up to her room to comfort her.

Kumiko placed a hand over her mouth, letting out a silent cry. Phillip smiled at the Beifong’s before glancing at his own child.

“Nolan, why don't you go console your friend”

Ian raised his hand stopping the boy, “I think it’s best if we giver her some space”

“Now Ian, I think someone her age comforting her could help. Run along, Nolan”

Nolan nodded before making his way to the youngest girl's room, allowing both Ian and Phillip to talk further about the situation.

Nolan Shrotter gently knocked on the white-painted door that was the barrier between him and Malia Beifong. Not hearing a response, he slowly opened the door, not allowing himself to be known.