Dead Calm

It had been almost three days since Malia was last home. Since she threw her little tantrum at Midsummers. She was sure her mother wanted absolutely nothing to do with her.

She slowly opened the door to her house, wincing as it slammed shut. Kumiko was going to have a blast reprimanding her youngest daughter for all the kind words she left everyone with.

“Mal? Is that you?” Genevieve called from the corridor, running towards her sister.

She engulfed the girl in a bear hug, completely enveloping her into her frame, “Mal, where the hell have you been? Mom’s literally going crazy!” she whispered, checking the girl's face for any sign of distress.

Malia glanced at her father who sat in the kitchen, of course, Phillip Shrotter had to be with him. Probably discussing her whereabouts.

“Of course, Nolan, we’ll- Malia Dae! Where the hell have you been?” Kumiko's voice sounded like a punch to the gut. Her warm eyes turning cold as she glared daggers, “Do you have any idea how worried we all were? What the hell is the matter with you?”

Ian and Phillip had perked up at the announced arrival of the Beifong girl, Both making their way into the hall.

“Malia,” Philip greeted, “Haven’t seen you since the little outburst you had at Midsummers,”

The playful tone made the girl's blood boil. Why was he such an obnoxious prick?

Ever since she met the man he had been nothing but condescending.

“Yeah, I’ve been helping my friends,” she spat.

Phillip cocked an eyebrow at the girl's words. He can hear the venom laced in them, and he knows the attitude was directed at him.

“Same friends you berated your parents and their colleagues for I assume,”

Malia rose an eyebrow at his accusation, offering him a small smile, “I didn't berate anyone, I just simply spoke the truth. As usual, no one likes to hear the truth, now do they?”

Phillip let out a laugh, turning his attention away from the girl and to his son as he playfully rolled his eyes.

“If you have something to say to me Mr. Shrotter, then say it”

Ian let out a sigh, “Malia please-”

“There’s nothing to say, Malia dear,” Phillip smiled, adjusting his sleeve, “After all, we are just a bunch of- oh what was it? Stuck-up snobs, right?”

Nolan glanced at the girl for a moment, looking away when she caught his gaze, “If you're looking for an apology, you won’t get one. I don’t regret what I said,” she spoke, but before anyone could argue with her, Genevieve stepped in.

“I haven’t seen my sister in two days, so if you don’t mind, Phillip- I’d like to help her get cleaned up, and this dress off of her,” she smiled, bidding the man goodbye. 

Genevieve swiftly snatched her younger sister, leading her up the staircase and into her room. Slamming the door shut, Malia gave her sibling a grateful smile.

“So, what's going on?” Was the first thing to leave Genevieve's lips.

Malia snapped her head up, arching her brow, “What do you mean?”

“I’m not stupid, Mal. You make a scene at Midsummer’s, then hideout with your friends for two days. Something is clearly going on,”

The girl rolled her eyes before unzipping the large dress she wore to the event, which was now a shade darker, covered in dirt and small rips.