𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙮 𝘾𝙤𝙢𝙥𝙖𝙨𝙨

"So, Malia, Nolan tells me that you love to read, do you have a favorite genre or a favorite book perhaps?" Phillip Shrotter asked as he took a spoonful of the quinoa rice Mrs. Beifong made for the family.

Malia looked down at her plate, she had yet to even take a bite of the meal. It was currently 8:56 pm, this dinner had gone on longer than she had expected, "I read a lot of romance novels, thrillers are a close second," she spoke, keeping her eyes on the edge of her white platter.

"Have you read Jane Eyre, it's a classic," he spoke again, determined to get a full conversation in with her before the family decided to retire for the night.

Kumiko looked over at her daughter, awaiting her answer. Malia suddenly felt like she was in the middle of an exam with all the questions about books and whatnot.

"I have," she replied, "Have you?"

"Malia," Kumiko scolded, her cold honey brown eyes now a shade darker.

How could she have been so mad, it was only a simple question? Wasn't this dinner about getting to know one another, since they all would be family someday? According to her parents.

"No, it's quite alright Mrs. Beifong," Phillip laughed as he set his lavender cloth napkin down, "I have. We were required to read it in high school when I was your age,"

The girl just nodded, "That's nice,"

Ian Beifong had looked over at his wife, upset that their daughter seemed to have no interest in the conversation. He was really hoping the "deal" they had would pull through, but Malia had other intentions then they did.

"How about Pride and Prejudice, have you read that?"

Malia glanced over at Nolan, who was already looking back at her, "With all due respect Mr. Shrotter, I am a teenage girl living in the 21st century, I have more interest than just reading old classic literature,"

Malia could have sworn she saw her mother scratch the pastel blue table cloth. She practically had steam coming out of her ears ever since her daughter began acting like a smartass to their guests.

"Oh, I see, then why don't you tell me your interest," Phillip had noticed the girl became a bit snippy through dinner, he wasn't going to give up so easily.

"Gladly," Malia smiled before leaving her seat, walking upstairs.

She walked back down a few moments later with an old sketchbook, a few folders, and a canvas "I like to draw," was all she said before plopping the box down on the table.

The three adults reached for her artwork, amazed at how much talent was stored in this 4'11" girl. Her drawing consisted of landscapes, John B's boat, some self-images, pretty much anything and everything you could possibly think of recreating on paper.

"Who's this young man?" Phillip asked, holding up a sketch of JJ. Malia had remembered that day as it had just happened. She and the rest of the pogues were hanging out at the Chateau, they had all just gotten into a marshmallow fight. Kiara had started it when she threw a marshmallow at John B's head, the boy wasted no time trying to get her back. About two minutes later, the battle had broken out.

Malia took pictures of the four, laughing as she dodged most of the marshmallows sent by JJ. She had snapped a few pictures of him, as he mightily posed, knowing he was the attention of her photo-taking.

Her favorite was him in mid-throw, with a large smile on his face. His red baseball cap was turned backward and his single, right-side dimple had made an appearance. He seemed so happy, so pure at that moment, she just had to keep it.