Hybrid

Hybrid— A Percy Jackson One-Shot.

Summary: Hazel Levesque finds a stray cat in an alleyway and decides to keep it. Things happen. Guns, scientists and...other stuff get involved.

UNEDITED

Hazel sniffled as she walked, trying to bury herself deeper inside the giant aviator jacket she was wearing. It smelt so much like her brother it made her sad. But she didn't want to throw it away.

She couldn't. It was the last thing Nico had given her—the last memento she had of him—before their sister, Bianca had died. Before Nico had gone and cut ties with their family. Hazel hated that he did not love her enough to stay.

She wanted to hate him too. But she couldn't. Because he was her everything. The thought that one day, she would become of age and be able to leave the House of Pluto di Angelo and meet her brother again, was what kept her going. Hazel's feet caused the snow beneath her to crunch. It hardly snowed in the city and people were out and about.

It was winter and Hazel was just returning from the park. She didn't feel like going home. She didn't want to step through the doorway and see the face of a man who cared more about ruining his two brothers' careers instead of taking care of his children.

She wasn't ready to face Persephone and be ridiculed and ignored because she was the child of another woman.

She didn't want to be reminded of the fact that her mother had left a six year old her at the doorstep of a father she barely knew, her parting words a promise of getting candy from the corner store.

She never came back.

Hazel did not want to climb the stairs and remember that Hades and Persephone blamed her for Bianca tumbling down and snapping her neck because she tried to stop her from falling.

She didn't want to see the ghost of her brother wandering the hallways and calling his sister's name.

But it was inevitable. Sure, she always tried to delay. She always snuck in late to avoid them, but it was a Friday and sooner or later she would get to the house and she would have to face all the things which made her want to run far far away. She would have to lie in her bed and remember that somewhere down the stairs were parents who wanted her gone.

Hazel breathed out a puff of air, which turned to mist in front of her, and blinked back tears. She wouldn't cry. She hadn't done so since Bianca's funeral five months ago and she wasn't going to now. She could hear the loud music blaring from the bars and pubs which thrived in the streets. She passed through throngs of people, sliding through them like a ghost.

And that was what she was. She was a ghost to the people who looked at her.

Hazel made a curve, glancing down and studying her feet as she walked. The big house was coming up and dread was building up in her. Hazel hated the house.

It was an empty barrel, filled with tiny pins. It was suffocating and it made her feel like she would snap into two. It was filled with shades of a past she did not want to remember—memories she wanted to get rid of.

Suddenly a low mewl hit her ears. Hazel stopped in her tracks, glancing around her. Where had that come from? She cocked her head to the side, waiting for the sound to come up once more.

This time it was louder, and she was able to determine the source—an alley, which she had been walking past. Hazel took a step forward. The cat sounded anguished and in pain. It sounded broken; just like her.

She took slow but steady steps into the alley, letting the darkness of New Orleans enclose her. Hazel came to a stop in front of a dumpster and crouched down. She could barely see in the dark, but she was able to see the round, brown eyes which were filled with tears. She heard the soft meow again and Hazel's heart shattered for the poor cat.