Chapter 40- Confessions

⚠️ Disclaimer ⚠️
This chapter contains depictions of physical abuse, child abuse and language.
Reader discretion is advised.
~BUNMI~

When I was young, I used to fantasize about how I would die. Never did I imagine it would be from kidnapping—and without putting up a fight.

I felt too weak to struggle. Normally, they force you to inhale something to knock you out, but this time, they didn't even need to before bundling me into the car. Which only confirmed my suspicion- this was real. They had covered my head with a black sack since we left the hospital and I had no idea where we were or where they were taking me.

When they kidnapped me, I pretended to faint, so they likely believed I was still unconscious. The men kept talking about "going to the hideout." Alhaji told them to wait for the Boss's instructions.

Who was this Boss? And why were Alhaji and the Boss working together?

We eventually reached a place with a bumpy terrain. The man in the passenger seat yelled at the driver, "Take it easy o! Make this woman no wake up now. I no get strength for shout abeg!"

The other men laughed, and the driver started moving slower.

We arrived at a spot where they said they would walk the rest of the way. The so-called "passenger princess," who I suspected was the ringleader, volunteered to carry me. In a split second, I was slung over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

My heart pounded so hard, I was sure he could hear it. I needed to open my eyes, just enough to see something—anything that might help me escape.

I slowly cracked open my left eye. In the distance, I saw hills, overgrown weeds and what looked like a lake. There was also a single tree stood by the water, looking oddly out of place.

I suddenly felt eyes boring into the back of my head, so I quickly shut my eyes again. We entered a building that seemed like some sort of warehouse, and I was dropped into a chair.

"Let's tie her up, just in case she wakes up and tries to run," one of them suggested.

"Yesss o," another agreed.

They tied me to a chair, fastening the ropes tightly. The shorter man stood guard outside the door while the others stepped out, presumably for a break or to make calls.

Such sloppy thugs.
I cautiously opened my eyes again, scanning the room. It was indeed a warehouse, filled with box after box. Each one had a large picture of canned fish printed on the front.

It was a warehouse full of canned fish—one clue, at least.

But escaping was out of the question. There was an armed guard at the door, and four other men lurking around. The windows were too high to climb, and the only exit was blocked. My only hope was Damola, even if the odds seemed stacked against me.
I sat there for what felt like hours until I heard footsteps shuffling outside the door. I quickly closed my eyes again, pretending to sleep.

"Bude, bude," said someone from outside.

"Alhaji, we've been waiting for you. Welcome, sir," another voice greeted.

"Thank you," Alhaji replied calmly.

"She's still asleep. Should we wake her?" one of the men asked.

"No. Let her be. We'll wait for the Boss. He's almost here."

So, Alhaji wasn't the one pulling the strings. The real mastermind was someone else. My mind raced—who was this "Boss"?