fourty seven

Apologise. I can't imagine Isaac apologising. I can't imagine Isaac saying a lot. He was never the main one. He sort of hung back and agreed and went along with Thomas. Well, let's face it, everyone in my class went along with Thomas. Because if I was the victim, then they weren't. Nathan stopped standing up for me—
No. Let's not go there anymore. Nathan was freaked out. I've made my peace with Nathan. It's all good.
Thomas is the one who's really scary. He's the one who makes my flesh crawl. He's bright and smart and motivated and handsome in that strong-jawed athletic way. All the teachers loved him. They loved him. You know, till they found out the truth and everything.
I've had a long time to think about this. And I've decided he did it for fun. You know. Because he could.
My theory is that Thomas will win awards one day. He'll be some top advertising creative, selling a message to the public and getting everyone to believe it and doing it in a relentless, unremitting, really inspired way. He'll be one of those advertisers who trick you so you don't even realize you're being advertised to, you just give in and start to operate the way he wants you to.

He'll use other people then discard them. Everyone he smiles at will fall under his spell and join the team. The people who hate him will feel totally used and wretched, but who cares about them?
The real truth, which by the way no grown-up would ever admit to, is that probably the whole experience will do him great in life. It was like, the most put-together project you could imagine. It was innovative. It was sustained. If it had been a GCSE project: Torment Henry Haddock using a variety of imaginative methods, he would have got A+ highly commended.
I mean yes, he got excluded in the end. But small detail, right?