fourty nine

So that was a no from Mum. And from Dad.
Mum got pretty mad. I mean, she was mad with Mrs. Lawton, she kept saying, but it sounded like she was more mad with me, from the way she kept coming back to the same topics.
I do appreciate that reading private emails is beyond the pale.
I do appreciate that Mum and Dad are juggling some big issues, and they can't do that if they're constantly afraid I'm going to hack into their email account all the time.
Do I want to turn into a household with locked doors? (No.)
Do I want to live in a family with no trust? (No.)
Wait a minute, was this Heather? Did Heather help you? (Silence.)
Mum's nostrils were white and her forehead veins were throbbing, and Dad looked grave, seriously grave, like he hasn't looked for a while, and they were both one hundred percent adamant that seeing Isaac was a nonstarter.
"You're fragile, Henry," Mum kept saying. "You're like a piece of china that's just been mended."
She pinched that from Dr. Gobber.
Does Mum talk to Dr. Gobber behind my back? This has never occurred to me before.

But then, I can clearly be quite slow off the mark.
"Son, I know you think it'll be a cathartic experience and you'll say your piece and everyone will come away the wiser," says Dad. "But in real life, that doesn't happen. I've confronted enough assholes in my time. They never realize they're assholes. Not once. Whatever you say." He turns to Mum. "Remember Ian? My first boss? Now, he was an asshole. Always was, always will be."
"I'm not planning to say a piece," I point out. "He's the one who wanted to apologise."
"He says," mutters Mum darkly. "He says."
"Tell us why you want to do it," says Dad. "Explain."
"Do you want to hear him say sorry?" says Mum. "We could tell him he has to write a letter."
"It's not that." I shake my head impatiently, trying to shift my thoughts into making sense. The trouble is, I can't explain. I don't know why I want to do it. Except maybe to prove something. But to who? Myself? Isaac?
Dr. Gobber isn't wild about hearing about Isaac or Thomas or any of them. He's all, like, "Henry, you aren't validated by other people," and, "You're not responsible for other people's emotions" and "This Thomas sounds very tedious, let's move off the topic."
He even gave me a book about unhealthy relationships. (I almost laughed out loud. Could you get any more unhealthy than the relationship between me and Thomas?) It was about how you have to be strong to break free from abuse and not constantly measure yourself against toxic people but stand strong and distinct like a healthy tree. Not some stunted, falling-over, codependent victim tree. Or whatever.

It's all very well. But Isaac and Thomas and all of them are still in my mind all the time. They have not checked out of the building. Maybe they never will.
"If I don't do it, it'll always be a question," I say at last. "It'll bug me my whole life. Could I have done it? Would it have changed things?"
Mum and Dad don't look convinced.
"You could say that about anything," says Mum. "Could you skydive off the Empire State Building? Well, maybe."
"Life's too short," says Dad firmly. "Move on."
"I'm trying to move on. This is part of moving on!"
But as I look from face to face I know I'm never going to persuade them. Never, whatever I say.

 Never, whatever I say

So I go to Heather. Who also thinks it's a bad idea, but the difference is, after we've discussed it for about five minutes, she shrugs and says, "Your life."
Dad's changed his email password, but Heather soon finds it on his BlackBerry on a memo called New Password (poor Dad; he really shouldn't leave his BlackBerry lying around), and we get into the account. I was planning to write the email myself, but Heather takes over, and honestly, she sounds just like Dad.
"You've been reading too many of Dad's emails," I say in awe as I read her words. "This is amazing!"
"Piece of piss," says Heather, but I can tell she's pleased. And she should be. The email is totally a work of art. It goes like this:

𝗗𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗠𝗿𝘀. 𝗟𝗮𝘄𝘁𝗼𝗻

𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝘆 𝘄𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗯𝘂𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝘆𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗱𝗮𝘆. 𝗔𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗶𝗺𝗮𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗲, 𝘄𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼𝗼 𝗾𝘂𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗹𝘆.
𝗢𝗻 𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻, 𝗛𝗲𝗻𝗿𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗜𝘀𝗮𝗮𝗰 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗮𝘆. 𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘄𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗴𝗴𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝟯:𝟬𝟬 𝗽.𝗺. 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗧𝘂𝗲𝘀𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗯𝘂𝗰𝗸𝘀.

𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗱𝗼 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗹𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗶𝗹, 𝗮𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗺𝗮𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝗽. 𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝘁𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗺: 𝟬𝟳𝟵𝟵𝟴𝟲 𝟰𝟯𝟱𝟲𝟭𝟵.

𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘀𝗵𝗲𝘀,
𝗦𝘁𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗛𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗼𝗰𝗸

That's my new mobile number. After we've sent the email, Heather deletes the email and then deletes it again out of Trash, and I think we're safe.
And then all of a sudden I feel this lurch of fright. What am I doing? Shit, what am I doing? My heart starts racing, and I can feel my hands twisting up into knots.
"Will you come with me? Please?" I say before I can stop myself, and Heather turns to give me a long look. I dodge it, turning my head, but then sneak a glance back. She's looking really anxious, like it's suddenly hit her too, what we've done.
"Hen, are you sure you want to do this?"
"Yes. Yes." I nod, over and over, as though to convince myself. "Yes. I'm going to do it. I just need a bit of moral support. If you come with me. And Ally."
"The three musketeers."
"Something like that."
"Have you told Ally?"
"No, but I'm meeting her later at the park. I'll tell her then."