Chapter 1

Notice: If you're reading this book anywhere other than Wattpad, please don't continue reading there and feel free to hop over to Wattpad:) I only post my works on Wattpad but recently found out that NovelHD has stolen a few of my works and posted them there without my permission. I absolutely love when people read my books but please, only read them here on Wattpad where I intentionally publish them. Thank you!

"Hey!" Tires squeal as the Taxi rushes past me. "Perfect. I wanted to walk today anyway." I grumble to myself. I couldn't stay mad though, the snowflakes drifting down around me made me sure it was going to be a good day.

It's cold today, but I'd worn my favorite winter coat after seeing that a lot of snow was expected. No one was exactly sure just how much, but it couldn't be more than a foot or so. Maine rarely got an overwhelming amount.

I glance up through the softly falling snow and see my destination, a five story office building. York Ave. was a publishing company I had always wanted to work for, and they'd hired me on two months ago. It was my dream job, and yet, sometimes I dreaded going to work. Not today though, today was going to be great.

Ten minutes later, I finally step through the doors and shake the snow from my hood before sliding my coat off. I clock in quickly before catching the elevator to the third floor, not paying attention to anyone else around me.

"Ava! I'm so glad you're here!" My coworker, Jessie, pulls me to her desk before I can drop my stuff off. "We have a meeting today, I think they're pairing us up for the project!"

Shit. I forgot about that! Hopefully they just pair me and Jessie together...

"When is the meeting?"

"In five minutes. You made it just in time." Jessie replies.

"The taxi's weren't my friend today." I say with a laugh before following Jessie to the fourth floor for our meeting.

The building was huge and confusing, but luckily Jessie had worked here for a few years and was always willing to show me around. I wasn't looking forward to the day she went on maternity leave, which would be coming up really soon.

We slide into seats on the left side of the big conference room table, and I smile at the view of the snow. People slowly fill the room, chattering softly about the weather, work reports, and families while we wait for Mr. Benson to start the meeting.

My eyes wander around the room, but stop on one of the reasons I hated work.

Cassie.

Cassie was hired at the same time as I was, which made it really hard to get Mr. Bensons attention on important matters. My work hardly got noticed because of Cassie. It's not like she tried to screw me over, but I couldn't help but dislike her.

I move my gaze away, refusing to let her fuel my frustration today. Today was going to be good, I could feel it.

Mr. Benson stands, and the room quiets down as he begins explaining our project. "This manuscript is an unusual one. It's going to take more work than your normal manuscripts require, which is why you'll be working with someone on this project. You all get the same one, and the best one will be published. Whoever produces the best one will be considered for the promotion announced yesterday."

That got my attention. That promotion was the fastest way for me to get where I wanted in this company, possibly by the New Year.

Mr. Benson's assistant begins passing out folders with details on the project, as well as the name of our partner. I grab my folder excitedly, scanning the page for the name. My heart drops as my eyes land on her name, and my head shoots up to find her gaze already locked on me.